DAC/Amp that would sound great with my hd650s, at or under $300
Dec 8, 2011 at 10:17 AM Post #16 of 20
I've been using 650's with this setup for a while and I think it sounds pretty good.

Computer USB -> Maverick D1 (Tube Pre-Out) -> Silver Serpent RCA -> Maverick A1 -> HD650

I've "upgraded" the tubes on both units.  Seems to sound a little better for me at least.  I think I put a WE-396A on the D1 and then a pair of matched WE-6AK5 on the A1.  Not sure if those are the "ideal" tubes or not, I looked around for a while to find them and the general feel I was getting is those were a good pick.  I also swapped the OP-AMPs on the D1, but I'm no longer using the D1 for the headphone out so that isn't entirely relevant anymore.  It is an option if using the D1 standalone though.

I gotta say though, the Maverick D1 is a great unit to start with and in your price range.  Also opens up future options if the desire to upgrade is still there.

Dec 10, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #17 of 20

Quote:
Okay, I haven't posted here in years but I have been browsing since I just made my first headphone purchase in quite a while.

I have 650s and a Benchmark Dac1, first generation, bought in 2003ish. I couldn't be happier. It looks like you can score a Dac1 close to your budget, used but it would be first gen and no USB which may be a deal breaker. 

A used Dac1 I was watching on ebay just sold for $600. Where could I find one closer to my budget?

Dec 10, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #18 of 20
what about the schiit asgard paired with the maverick D1? Or should I go with the all maverick set up? I have no experience with maverick so Im not sure? suggestions? Thanks!

Dec 10, 2011 at 2:59 AM Post #19 of 20
I would suggest a Music Streamer II DAC. Its a slightly bright DAC that goes well with the slightly laid back signature of the HD650.

The amp I use is a DIY Cavali Audio EHHA amp. The problem is thats a DIY amp so you either have to have the skills to build it or buy it from someone who already built it (I chose the later route).

I paid around $450 for a new EHHA amp and $150 for the DAC. Its one combination that I don't wish to upgrade anymore since I really like it.

Dec 10, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #20 of 20

Quote:
I would suggest a Music Streamer II DAC. Its a slightly bright DAC that goes well with the slightly laid back signature of the HD650.

The amp I use is a DIY Cavali Audio EHHA amp. The problem is thats a DIY amp so you either have to have the skills to build it or buy it from someone who already built it (I chose the later route).

I paid around $450 for a new EHHA amp and $150 for the DAC. Its one combination that I don't wish to upgrade anymore since I really like it.

Another vote for the HRT Music Streamer II.  It's an asynchronous USB DAC; the power supply and DAC sections are isolated and should theoretically result in a clearer signal.

I have a Cavalli Audio SOHA II hybrid amp and a Meier Concerto and they both sound stellar, although the Concerto is out of your price range.  The SOHA II is also a DIY amp; mine is up for sale actually if you're interested, OP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back