Flak

New Head-Fier
Will be used with my plethora of low-end headphones:
ATH-A900X
AKG K240
Incase Sonics
AKG GHS 1
Takstar Pro 80

I'd prefer portable but am open to something that isn't.  Will probably primarily be used for gaming with a lower percentage of use for music/movies.

Thanks,
Flak

Sep 12, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #4 of 21
What devices (make/model) do you plan to use the DAC/amp with?

Probably just desktops (primarily gaming rigs), all currently using onboard sound.  I have some Creative X-Fi Titanium HD sound cards laying around but I don't like them in Windows 10 for some reason (can't put my finger on it).  Possibly use it with laptops, though the laptops are more stationary (than mobile platforms) as they are primarily in area's where a desktop wouldn't really make sense. 

If I had a portable dac/amp I might use it with my phones (3x Oneplus One, 2x Oneplus Two, 4x Nexus 4, 2x Nexus 6) but I primarily use my phones to stream music to my car (ford sync and audi mmi).  The music comes from Pandora, if only because I've used it since its inception so the mix of music I get (from all the like and dislikes through the years) is generally spot on.  I'd try other services if you guys had recommendations though?

Thanks

Sep 12, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #5 of 21
Look into the Audioquest Dragonfly v1.2. It's a small USB DAC/amp: http://www.amazon.com/AUDIOQUEST-DRAGONFLY-V1-2-USB-DAC/dp/B00H00VLZQ

Sep 12, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #6 of 21
And what if my wife ok'd $150 but really meant $100?  lol, Fulla Schiit the best option then?

What I see available on Amazon:
Fulla Schiit - $89
iBasso D-Zero Mk2 - $119
Fiio E10k - $75
Fiio E07k - $89
Creative E3 - $120/E1 - $35
Monoprice Desktop Headphone AMP/DAC - $105

Sep 15, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #8 of 21
I think my expectations where a little high, possibly from the hype. Needless to say, I don't like the Fulla and I can't put my finger on why. So, when getting into new stuff I usually get a whole bunch of different items so I can personally experience the differences. I am going to do that here. I've purchased almost every DAC/AMP combo from Amazon that is currently $150 or less, from the Creative E1 to the Dragonfly v1.2. If it's of any interest I can post which one(s) I end up keeping. I should have all of them in my possession by 9/18.

Sep 15, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #10 of 21
I think my expectations where a little high, possibly from the hype. Needless to say, I don't like the Fulla and I can't put my finger on why. So, when getting into new stuff I usually get a whole bunch of different items so I can personally experience the differences. I am going to do that here. I've purchased almost every DAC/AMP combo from Amazon that is currently $150 or less, from the Creative E1 to the Dragonfly v1.2. If it's of any interest I can post which one(s) I end up keeping. I should have all of them in my possession by 9/18.

I would be interested in knowing what you dislike about the Fulla, once you figure it out.

Sep 18, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #11 of 21
So in my possession I have:
Creative E1
Creative E3
Fiio E10k
Fiio E17k
Fulla Schiit
Topping NX2
AudioEngine D1
AudioEngine D3
iBasso D-Zero Mk2
Asus Xonar U7
AudioQuest Dragonfly v1.2

I also purchased Philips SPH9500 just to throw another set of headphones into the mix but didn't do anything with them other than plug them in once to make sure they worked.  I did most of my listening last night with the ATH-A900x and the AKG K240.
I'll have more details later as I play with them all this weekend.  But in my short listening last night to make sure they all worked, the Topping NX2 is already out as an option.  I'm not an audiophile rocket scientist so bare with me as I try to describe what I heard with the NX2.  The NX2 was noticeably more confined/smaller sound stage than the others and there wasn't much separation between instruments and vocals.  It just sounded muffled in general.  That also killed any sense of surround accuracy in BF4.

Sep 18, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #12 of 21
You ordered that many from Amazon? That seems excessive, even perhaps abusive of Amazon's return policy. I've heard stories of people ordering and returning like that, and Amazon eventually bans them. Just sayin' in case you didn't know.

Sep 18, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #13 of 21
You ordered that many from Amazon? That seems excessive, even perhaps abusive of Amazon's return policy. I've heard stories of people ordering and returning like that, and Amazon eventually bans them. Just sayin' in case you didn't know.

Sorry, I was informed I can't even give that info.  So in short I have an account type that doesn't exist I guess.

Sep 18, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #14 of 21
Sorry, I was informed I can't even give that info.  So in short I have an account type that doesn't exist I guess.

I have no idea what that means. Just thought you should know that Amazon apparently doesn't like it when people abuse their return policy.

Sep 18, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #15 of 21
I have no idea what that means. Just thought you should know that Amazon apparently doesn't like it when people abuse their return policy.

The account I have allows me to do this.  I had put more detail but I was told what I did enter was too much information so they made me pull it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back