Dac/Amp/Sound Card upgrade from Xonar DGX for Desktop use for HD598/PC360
Dec 2, 2016 at 3:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

thebanik

New Head-Fier
Recently my Xonar DGX died after a couple of years of service, and the prices of the same card seem insane. Almost 3 times their earlier price, at which point I started looking for other options, and now I see a plethora of options in front of me. And I am totally confused.

This is completely for desktop use, where Music is 10%, Movie is around 10% on HP (infact much more, but for that I have separate Amp + Speakers) and rest is gaming but mostly CSGO, so only sound clarity, and not much need of Surround Sound etc. Although I can look for a good sound card as well, but just as a preference looking for USB DAC/AMP.

I am presently using below :

1) Asus Maximus Gene V
2) Kingston Hyper X, HD558, HD598 & PC360

Options I am considering but I am completely open to anything else suggested here, budget 300$ max but cheaper the better (ofcourse ready to extend if there is a consensus that there is something in the higher range which is bang for buck as well):

1) Creative Soundblaster G5
2) Creative Soundblaster E5
3) Creative Soundblaster Z
4) Creative Omni?
5) Asus Xonar U7
6) Fiio E10K (I guess not much better than DGX)
7) Fiio E17K
8) Modii 2/Magnii 2 Stack

Dec 2, 2016 at 7:48 AM Post #2 of 7
I think you should get the Sound Blaster Z card.

Dec 2, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #3 of 7
Thanks man, but any particular reason? These external dacs they would not give any better sound than the Sound Blaster Z?

TBH, FIIO E17k and Xonar U7 I have already ordered to test them. But would return if I am not satisfied.

Every other option if I buy then there will be no option to return since I am based in India

Dec 2, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #4 of 7
  Thanks man, but any particular reason? These external dacs they would not give any better sound than the Sound Blaster Z?
TBH, FIIO E17k and Xonar U7 I have already ordered to test them. But would return if I am not satisfied.
Every other option if I buy then there will be no option to return since I am based in India

The SB-Z card comes with a nice CS4398 DAC chip, half-way decent headphone amplifier and the option of using SBX Headphone surround sound.
As the SB-Z comes with Creative's Soundcore3D DSP, it should the best at working with SBX.

Also here in the USA you can get a used SB-Z card for around $60, so in my mind I think of it as a good value, for it's price.

I'm more of an Asus Xonar fan, over Creative stuff, so if I was going external, I think I would get the Xonar U7.

Dec 2, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #5 of 7

The SB-Z card comes with a nice CS4398 DAC chip, half-way decent headphone amplifier and the option of using SBX Headphone surround sound.
As the SB-Z comes with Creative's Soundcore3D DSP, it should the best at working with SBX.

Also here in the USA you can get a used SB-Z card for around $60, so in my mind I think of it as a good value, for it's price.

I'm more of an Asus Xonar fan, over Creative stuff, so if I was going external, I think I would get the Xonar U7.

Sorry to bother you with stupid questions, but how does the U7 compare with SB-Z?. Because for me the U7 would be cheaper.

Also from reviews it seems like G5 is such an upgrade over U7 and even SB-Z? And is infact equivalent to Modi2/Magni2 combo? In your experience with my headphones that I listed above would there be a significant upgrade from say U7?

Dec 2, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #6 of 7

Sorry to bother you with stupid questions, but how does the U7 compare with SB-Z?. Because for me the U7 would be cheaper.

Also from reviews it seems like G5 is such an upgrade over U7 and even SB-Z? And is in fact equivalent to Modi2/Magni2 combo? In your experience with my headphones that I listed above would there be a significant upgrade from say U7?

The HD558, HD598, PC360 all use the same 50-Ohm driver and can easily be driven by just about anything.
Surprised you have not sold off two of them.

If you remove the black rubber tape from inside the cups of the HD558, your going to get close to the HD598 sound.

Here is a nice aftermarket cable for the HD558/HD598.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261255113290?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&var=560313338477&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I have the 60-Ohm Gemini HSR-1000, which is the same as the Kinston HyperX Cloud headphone (but the Gemini has no mic).
Best sounding closed headphone I know of, for under $100

The G5, SB-Z and U7 use the same CS4398 DAC chip.
The G5 has the best head amp, the SB-Z 2nd best and the U7 is not as powerful as the other two.
But the U7 can still drive all your headphones decently

The G5 is several years newer design, then the U7 and SB-Z

For your current headphones, I would not spend the cash for the Modi/Magni.
For the price of the Modi/Magni, you would be better off buying better headphones.

What are the prices for the sound cards and DAC/amps?

Dec 3, 2016 at 7:51 AM Post #7 of 7

The HD558, HD598, PC360 all use the same 50-Ohm driver and can easily be driven by just about anything.
Surprised you have not sold off two of them.

If you remove the black rubber tape from inside the cups of the HD558, your going to get close to the HD598 sound.

Here is a nice aftermarket cable for the HD558/HD598.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261255113290?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&var=560313338477&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I have the 60-Ohm Gemini HSR-1000, which is the same as the Kinston HyperX Cloud headphone (but the Gemini has no mic).
Best sounding closed headphone I know of, for under $100

The G5, SB-Z and U7 use the same CS4398 DAC chip.
The G5 has the best head amp, the SB-Z 2nd best and the U7 is not as powerful as the other two.
But the U7 can still drive all your headphones decently

The G5 is several years newer design, then the U7 and SB-Z

For your current headphones, I would not spend the cash for the Modi/Magni.
For the price of the Modi/Magni, you would be better off buying better headphones.

What are the prices for the sound cards and DAC/amps?

TBH, I guess I am a hoarder. infact I have 2 HD598's. Whenever senn HP's are on sale I buy them, thinking if one dies then I need a backup. In all these are the ones that I have currently right now in my cabinet 1 beige 598, 1 598 SE, 558 (bought as a backup as well), AD700 (1 cup no sound), PC360, HyperX, SS Siberia (crap sound, never use them), some Razer 7.1 HP (crap sound, never use them).

I know about the mods for 558, but since I already have the 598 hence I havent done it.

Thanks for the explanation, I guess I do not need the amp capabilities as you put it in a noob friendly way.

In India, only U7 and Fiio E17k are available with warranty. E17k for around 125$, and U7 for 90$ (in Indian currency). G5 will cost me 175$ (from US). And SBZ around 90$ from US. As I said before already ordered E17k and U7. If required will get either the G5 or the SBZ from US based on your recommendation.

For the rest of them will be getting them from Amazon US. So add around 50-100$ for shipping + customs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back