DAC / amp solutions for imac 24?
Jul 21, 2022 at 11:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

arn

Head-Fier
I usually use a streamer with a DAC amp for my headphones, but I would also like to get a decently compact headphone amp to be placed under the iMac. What quality solutions are available, if I want to direct all the audio (along with Spotify and Tidal) from the computer to the amp? Looking for a reasonable solution for roughly under $€1K. Thanks.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2022 at 3:26 AM Post #3 of 5
What headphones do you use? I'm asking because their power requirements.
Audeze LCD-2f, Sennheiser HD650, Focal Clear mg, Aeon closed X. I use RME ADI DAC 2 fs at the moment with my streamer. A bit smaller sized amp/dac would be ideal, that preferably could be powered from a USB connection behind the iMac. I just don't know what equipment I can just plug into the iMac's USB C port and expect to work.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2022 at 4:32 AM Post #4 of 5
Basically any DAC with USB input works with Macs. You might need USB-C to USB-B cable, as most DACs still has USB-B connector, but it's cheap thing. The bottleneck may be in power of the amplifier, that's why I asked. As you are using Audeze and Aeon planars, I'm afraid USB powered combo is not good idea due to limited power of the amplifier. I'd stick with RME :)

Jul 22, 2022 at 4:35 AM Post #5 of 5
Basically any DAC with USB input works with Macs. You might need USB-C to USB-B cable, as most DACs still has USB-B connector, but it's cheap thing. The bottleneck may be in power of the amplifier, that's why I asked. As you are using Audeze and Aeon planars, I'm afraid USB powered combo is not good idea due to limited power of the amplifier. I'd stick with RME :)
Thanks. I'll be leaving the RME for the streamer for more "serious" listening. I'll have to look into powered solutions for the iMac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back