DAC/AMP Recommendation for K701&HD600
Nov 5, 2014 at 11:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Hififox

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I have ODAC/O2 combo already but I like to upgrade my desktop HIFI system. At present I have K701, HD600, sr80e and a pair of Focal speakers(connected with DAC line output directly) for home using and I will not upgrade my headphones within a year. My budget is less than $1200 and I like a slightly little warmer and smoothie sound amplifier. Maybe a tube amplifier would be a good idea.

Currently I'm looking at these DAC/AMP:

1, OPPO ha-1, $1199, Solid-State AMP/DAC. Innerfidelity reviewed that ha-1 is a transparent amplifier. I'm really attracted to its various functions. But some reviews mentioned that ha-1 is not a AMP with "musicality". I really like to find an amp with a little warm sound. 

2, Wooaudio wa7, $1099 with upgraded tube, tube amplifier. It's a beautiful tube amplifier, and also upgraded tube will be sounded warmer, but it's pricey compared to OPPO ha-1. And I read some reviews compared wa7 and ha-1, most of reviewers said ha-1 has a better sound.

3, Earmax Silver Edition + ?DAC, $900, tube amplifier. Maybe I will continue using ODAC to connect this amplifier if I finally select it. I read a forum introduced Earmax Pro and Earmax Silver, the tubey sound looks like what I'm looking for. But it's really a pricey small tube amplifier with a really simple circuits, and also an OTL amplifier maybe can not drive K701 well. 

Please give me any suggestions or recommendations, and if you have any good choices with low cost please let me know.

Thank you!

Nov 5, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #2 of 11
I like the Audio GD 15

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1033/NFB10.33EN.htm

it's about $700 with shipping from China, shipping takes like 3 days to [I'm not kiddin you either]

It has a nice warm sound and should be a good upgrade to your oDac an O2. I had an oDac n Matrix M Stage my self, and my NFB10ES2 was a great upgrade!

Ofc the other option is to keep using your oDac and upgrade to a very high end Tube amp. Something like one of the Woo Audio amps, I think though the issue you will run into is many of the $1000 tube amps are going to sound best with their balanced out puts

Though you could try the Moon Audio Dragon Tube Amp 

Nov 6, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #3 of 11
  I like the Audio GD 15

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1033/NFB10.33EN.htm

it's about $700 with shipping from China, shipping takes like 3 days to [I'm not kiddin you either]

It has a nice warm sound and should be a good upgrade to your oDac an O2. I had an oDac n Matrix M Stage my self, and my NFB10ES2 was a great upgrade!

Ofc the other option is to keep using your oDac and upgrade to a very high end Tube amp. Something like one of the Woo Audio amps, I think though the issue you will run into is many of the $1000 tube amps are going to sound best with their balanced out puts

Though you could try the Moon Audio Dragon Tube Amp 

Thx for your suggestions!

Nov 6, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #5 of 11
Try the Burson Conductor, and scratch the HD600 if you're planning on getting the K701 anyway. Given an amp that doesn't distort on either, they're tonally similar enough, with the exception of the K701's slightly wider and deeper soundstage with more precise placement. I tried the Conductor on the K702 and Q701, and the dynamics were just fantastic.

You can also consider the Meier DACcord and Classic combo, slightly cheaper than the Conductor and you get Crossfeed on both of those.

Nov 6, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #7 of 11
  Thx for your suggestions!

Yea actually I've got an HD 600 in my poession, I'll let you know how I like it on my Schiit Vali and SE out of my NFB10ES2 

Nov 6, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #8 of 11
  Try the Burson Conductor, and scratch the HD600 if you're planning on getting the K701 anyway. Given an amp that doesn't distort on either, they're tonally similar enough, with the exception of the K701's slightly wider and deeper soundstage with more precise placement. I tried the Conductor on the K702 and Q701, and the dynamics were just fantastic.

You can also consider the Meier DACcord and Classic combo, slightly cheaper than the Conductor and you get Crossfeed on both of those.

Thx for your recommendations, but Conductor is out of my budget. How about Soloist?

Nov 6, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #11 of 11
  Thx for your recommendations, but Conductor is out of my budget. How about Soloist?

I didn't understand that you already had the HD600 so I thought you could scratch the $399 and add it to what you were willing to pay for the HA-1. Soloist is good, I also tested that one, but it doesn't have a DAC; but since you already have one, then go right ahead. What Focal speakers are those? The Soloist has a preamp output BTW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back