Dac/Amp recommendation for a Denon AH-D2000 With alpha pads
Feb 14, 2015 at 9:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

a7xdeity

100+ Head-Fier
Hi , Needing some help to try and tame these highs on my AH-D2000's .. Currently have it hooked up to my Essence STX sound card and although the headphones sound amazing .. THe treble hurts when i increase the volume slightly and it hurts my ears...

Feb 14, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #3 of 6
  Hi , Needing some help to try and tame these highs on my AH-D2000's .. Currently have it hooked up to my Essence STX sound card and although the headphones sound amazing .. The treble hurts when i increase the volume slightly and it hurts my ears...

Hopefully, you disabled the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, when you installed the Essence STX.
Are you using the lowest gain setting, with the STX's headphone amplifier?.

You might consider getting a headphone amplifier with a lower output impedance, then the Essence STX.
A FiiO E11K headphone amplifier, might be a better choice, for use with the AH-D2000
The E11K's less then 1-Ohm output impedance, is technically a little better, then the Essence STX's 10-Ohm output impedance, for use with 25-Ohm headphones, like the AH-D2000.
So maybe get a E11K and connect it to the Essence STX's RCA line-outputs.

Feb 15, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #6 of 6
@ Billy Bob . I tried to use the eq and it just wasn't working out too well

Then I fear you might have the wrong headphones. I'm really not a big believer in trying to use amps to change the basic sound signature of the headphones. I think it's possible for two amps to sound different, but if we're talking about good amps, the differences should be subtle and represent a preference for one over another, not to "fix" the sound. Just my 2 cents...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back