DAC/amp recco's for under 500
Jan 27, 2016 at 2:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Neccros

100+ Head-Fier
I currently use an Audioengine D1 as a DAC and headphone amp on my desktop PC at home and work as well as my laptop when I am mobile. My current setup is PC>D1>Headphones OR Fiio A1 amp>Andrew Jones Pioneer speakers.

I want to find something similar to the D1 that will allow headphones as well as output to my amp. I am looking at the JDS Labs version of the ODAC/Objective2 for home use and keep the D1 for laptop use. I don't have crazy high end cans nor hard to drive ones.  

What other similar combo DAC/amps are out there under $500??  I know of the Magni/Modi stack but want to see what else I dont know about.

Feb 26, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #5 of 7
They all do the DAC function, however they do ADC as well, hence the inputs.  You can do far more with an interface than a standard DAC, for example right now I have 2 sets of monitors hooked up, with option to have them all on or one pair or another, I also have my HP amp running off a line out, and I still have 8 inputs for mic's/guitar/midi.   You will always find better and regularly updated drivers for interfaces as manufacturers have STRONG links to DAW software producers, this can also lead to better tech support and cheaper hardware prices. 

A DAC is a one trick pony, an interface does all those tricks and more.

Feb 26, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #6 of 7
  They all do the DAC function, however they do ADC as well, hence the inputs.  You can do far more with an interface than a standard DAC, for example right now I have 2 sets of monitors hooked up, with option to have them all on or one pair or another, I also have my HP amp running off a line out, and I still have 8 inputs for mic's/guitar/ mid.   You will always find better and regularly updated drivers for interfaces as manufacturers have STRONG links to DAW software producers, this can also lead to better tech support and cheaper hardware prices.  

A DAC is a one trick pony, an interface does all those tricks and more.

I have a desk amp with speakers so I am looking for something along the lines of a DAC/Headphone amp combo that can pass signal to my amp.  So far I know of the Odjective2/ODAC and the Modi/Magni stack from Schiit.  I use a Audioengine D1 now and want something a little more desktop oriented and less portable. I'm going to re purpose the D1 for laptop/work use only

I am looking for other SIMILAR products 500 or less that I can consider.   Not looking just for a DAC or something to hook monitors up to. I don't have any....Also the other functions the ones you recommended have would be useless to me.

Why do I feel like no one even read my initial post

Feb 27, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #7 of 7
There are plenty of audio-gd unit's the newer NFB 11(2015) model, or the older EOL NFB11.32,15/15.32 or the NFB 12.0 if you can find any of them used.  There are options from the Matrix audio such as the Matrix Mini-I and Pro model's too.  The Audio-gd Units all have plenty of connections, USB,Optical and coaxial for input's, and RCA for output's, While the matrix unit's have the same connections while also having XLR  besides RCA for outputs. Of course all of them have headphone jack on the front. I personally had used the NFB12.0 and the 15.32 model and both worked very well.

It just that you going to have to find them used and you might get lucky. Other wise the NFB11(2015) which has a very stronger amp then the Matrix Mini-i/ pro options, but uses USB-32 for its usb transfer chip, while the Matrix unit's uses Xmos for their usb transfer chip.  they're all under $500 dollars.Personally if it was me I would go for either of the matrix Mini-i or pro but due to the xmos chip working very well for me not giving me any problems on my current dac in my sig. They all will play audio thru the RCA connections on the rear besides the headphone jack on the front.

The Audio-GD I know have dip switches which allow you to change the RCA's to either line level out where the volume is fixed at maximum volume and variable where you can turn the volume knob on the front to change the volume. I think by default it's on line level but I haven't used the NFB15.32 in a long time to remember exactly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back