DAC/AMP progression for DT-1990
Jan 14, 2018 at 2:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Darksoul

100+ Head-Fier
Some context first. Lately I pulled the trigger on a pair of new Beyerdynamic DT-1990, coming from the DT-770 Pro 80 Ohms, I loved how the 1990s gave me more of everything I loved from the 770s; just for the sake of it, I ordered some Brainwavz and Dekoni pads to take the confort even further up. I bought a Fiio K5 to complement my trusty Fiio X3 II and give the 1990s their due when it comes to power.

However, from a price and quality standpoint I think my 1990s deserve something "better" than the Fiio K5/X3 II combo I'm using on them. Make no mistake, I find this particular DAC/AMP combo to be very capable, but I can't help to think I can do better. I'm aiming to make my DT-1990 my end game for a while, until my finances allow me to step into electrostatic headphones.

My desk space is limited so I'm looking for something with a smallish footprint, a stack or maybe an all in one DAC/AMP combo. I've been really interested in these AMPs:

- Schiit Jotunheim.
- Cayin HA-3
- Cayin iDAC-6&iHA-6.
- Audio GD NFB-11.28.
- Audio GD R2R-11
- Emotiva DC-1.

I know the DT-1990 do not allow for balanced outputs, I'd get an adapter or risk modding them into balanced (maybe get a replacement left cup and work on the wiring?) But what I want is to get the AMP to the same "level" of the DT-1990; that last sentence is really subjective and open to interpretations and it's a whole other can of worms, but yeah...I want more.

I understand the above DAC/AMPs each have their distinctive characteristics, I just want my DT-1990 to sound at their best. And what I consider best is a relatively flat response with a tiny bit emphasis on the bass and an even tinier emphasis on the high frequencies; for the sake of clarity. You could say I love precise sound, almost surgical. So I would like a DAC/AMP that gives me that with a slight emphasis on the bass.

And this is the part where I ask the...knowledgeable community of Head-fi to light the way for me. I'm almost sure someone in this forum has at least tested the Fiio K5/X3 II and one of the above AMPs I would like some feed back on how's the improvement in clarity and precision moving "up" from Fiio K5/X3 II to these USD 400+ DACs. And if the chances allow it, how did the DT-1990 paired with any of the above DACs

Thank you in advance.

Jan 15, 2018 at 1:54 AM Post #2 of 3
Burson play with V6 classic op-amps should fit the bill nicely :)

Jan 15, 2018 at 4:25 AM Post #3 of 3
Do consider the Sony PHA series... I think they're definitely worth a listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back