DAC/Amp pair for beyerdynamic MMX 300 2nd Gen
May 8, 2020 at 9:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

bigshpaz

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I tried using the search function before asking but I didn't find what I am looking for.

Basically, I just bought beyerdynamic MMX 300 2nd Gen and I'm looking for a good DAC and Amp combo for it.

I like to listen to Classic rock, progressive metal, and the sort. I really appreciate a warm clear sound as I am easily annoyed by a noisy murky sound.

My budget is around $350 to $400. I prefer to buy new.

Thanks in advance.

May 8, 2020 at 11:18 PM Post #2 of 11
A Schiit Fulla 3 could easily drive the MMX 300.
Do you play any FPS games?

May 9, 2020 at 2:48 AM Post #4 of 11
my suggestion would be the ifi zen dac, it's a dac/ amp compo that has plenty of power for your mmx 300, and it sounds absolutely great for the price, unless you're planning on getting more power-demanding headphones in the future, i wouldn't recommend paying more since your headphones are really easy to drive and won't benefit much from a more expensive amp/dac.

May 9, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #7 of 11
what special about a "gaming" dac relative to a regular dac?
No such thing as a "gaming DAC".
Anything that has a DAC function, but also directly processes (headphone surround sound?) the gaming audio, is called a sound card.
Some "DACs" or should I say DAC/amps, come with software for gaming, but that software runs off the computer's CPU,
then after gaming software processes the audio, the audio is sent to the DAC/amp.

Last edited:
May 10, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #9 of 11
what special about a "gaming" dac relative to a regular dac?
Nothing but outright marketing bs. Don't believe one single word about.

Jan 21, 2022 at 10:39 PM Post #11 of 11
I've had the Gen1 mmx 300 for years and tried a lot of stuff with it. They need 3volts which isn't bad, normal gain on a Sound blaster G6 is plenty and direct mode sounds pretty good.
The Schiit Hel sounded like the upper mids were pushed forward on those. The Magni 3+/Modi was good, more treble forgiving. The JDS Atom stack was a winner too. The very best was the Sound blaster AE-7 plugged into the back, the audio control module never sounded as good, since it's a headset you don't need the speaker mic on it. I had a USB volume control wheel and should have kept it, really was a great combo for the MMX300.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back