• DAC/amp

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • It depends on the situation

Votes: 6 50.0%

• Total voters
Jun 22, 2021 at 1:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

LC3

New Head-Fier
Which do you prefer: a DAC/amp connected to your phone or other source, or a DAP? If you've tried both, how did the experience differ?

I've been considering a DAP, but recently came across some DAC/amps and wasn't sure what advantages a DAC/amp would have over a DAP? For example, I could get a FiiO M6 DAP, or a FiiO Q3 DAC/amp. I don't know what I should consider when making that decision.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #2 of 5
DAC/amps are usually just a better value in my experience. Part of the manufacturing cost for a DAP has to go to things like the touchscreen, more flash storage for the OS, more powerful processors to run the OS. I'd rather get a device dedicated more to just sound quality.

I would say that I'd only buy a dac/amp with Bluetooth as an option these so I don't have to be tethered to my phone 100% of the time, even if I'd use USB most of the time.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2021 at 4:00 AM Post #4 of 5
Which do you prefer: a DAC/amp connected to your phone or other source, or a DAP? If you've tried both, how did the experience differ?

I've been considering a DAP, but recently came across some DAC/amps and wasn't sure what advantages a DAC/amp would have over a DAP? For example, I could get a FiiO M6 DAP, or a FiiO Q3 DAC/amp. I don't know what I should consider when making that decision.

DAC-HPamp firmware is largely not an issue, it all depends on whether the host device can send audio to the DAC-HPamp. And whether you like having that cable when you lug two separate pieces around.

A DAP can be one piece (I mean, you don't always have to have a powerbank on it) but then you deal with the software running the interface for that DAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back