DAC/AMP Help
Jan 6, 2015 at 10:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

BobMonster

New Head-Fier
New to the whole DAC/AMP area.
looking into Fiio products which seem to be the recommended standard for overall performance and quality.

Looking for a DAC/AMP that would work well with a Samsung Galaxy S5, and my V-moda M100's.
Have my eye on the Fiio e17 or e17k.
does anyone know any compatability issues between the two? Haven't found anything in the forums or online saying anything to help.
If unknown, would the Fiio e18 be a better option? Or would more compatability issues be there too.

Any help is appreciated.

New suggestions welcome, but have a very strict budget at about $130 or less.

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #2 of 8
Do you understand the limitations of trying to use a DAC with an android phone, and do you also understand the use of the OTG cable? This is a somewhat complicated topic, and I just want to make sure you understand that you can't just connect the E17 to the GS5 with any USB cable if you want the DAC to work.
http://blog.jdslabs.com/?p=838

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #3 of 8
From what I have been explained so far is that the e17 and e17k run on their own battery, so USB power requirments from the DAC are minimal.

OTG cable I understand as far as it needs to be specific for type of device (android to Micro-USB, Apple to Micro-USB, ect..)

Also have confirmed that the GS5 is capable of USB Audio, but that many DAC/AMPs have compatabillity issues with some android devices.
Although I already use PowerAmp as my everyday player (Has DAC compatability For android)

Just Want to double check before dropping cash without confirmation from someone that knows a little bit more than me.

Jan 7, 2015 at 12:52 AM Post #4 of 8
From what I have been explained so far is that the e17 and e17k run on their own battery, so USB power requirments from the DAC are minimal.
Also have confirmed that the GS5 is capable of USB Audio, but that many DAC/AMPs have compatabillity issues with some android devices.
Although I already use PowerAmp as my everyday player (Has DAC compatability For android)

If you've gone through all the threads on it, the E17 is one of the more problematic in terms of Android and OTG compatibility.Yes, it has its own battery, yes it works with generic USB audio drivers, but it still has had a number of issues over a wide range of Android devices.

If you don't want to sweat out compatibility why not just get the E18? It was designed specifically to run with Android devices, and can even charge the Android device when hooked up.

Jan 7, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #6 of 8
I was looking into the e18, but seemed the the general concensus was that the e17 had better quality, and thse who were owners of both sounder like they preferred the e17.

But if the e17 is looking like it will be incompatable for quite a while (which seems to be the case based on the digging I did online), I think I'll go with the e18 "Kunlun". By the time I decide to upgrade from the e18, there will likely be more options, seeing how Android listening is becoming more popular since the Galaxy Devices were released.

Thank you for giving me some pointers though. Very appreciated.

Jan 7, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #7 of 8
I was looking into the e18, but seemed the the general concensus was that the e17 had better quality, and thse who were owners of both sounder like they preferred the e17.

But if the e17 is looking like it will be incompatable for quite a while (which seems to be the case based on the digging I did online), I think I'll go with the e18 "Kunlun". By the time I decide to upgrade from the e18, there will likely be more options, seeing how Android listening is becoming more popular since the Galaxy Devices were released.

Thank you for giving me some pointers though. Very appreciated.

The Ibasso D-Zero has a better amp section than the E18 by my ears; the MkII is now out with an improved amp section. Cheaper than the E17 too, and it's already listed as Android compatible (the Mk I isn't but works with my SGS3, also with iPads).

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #8 of 8
Don't worry about this amp not working with Galaxy S5! I have Galaxy S4, and im using M100 througth Fiio E15 via an OTG cable. No problems at all and I love this amp+dac! Earlier I had Fiio e5 and e11, but I didn't feel like it was enough... So now I have used M100 with Fiio for about 5 months on the bus/train/desktop computer, and I have no regrets :)
Ps. If you buy it, I recommend having the amps EQ at -4db lows and +2db highs, for the greatest clarity :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back