Dac/Amp + Headphone buy suggestions
Sep 13, 2018 at 11:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

inter2010

New Head-Fier
hi guys
I want to buy a good dac/amp and good headphone for my pc and I need of your experience and professionality..
I need something that is hip hop and rap oriented,accordingly with a good bass but that can play really equilibrate with other music style like samba pop jazz classic....

my budget is 500$ for dac/amp and 500$ for the headphone

please help me.....thanks a lot !

Sep 13, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #4 of 17
A couple of popular options that might be worth a look: Fostex THX/TRX from Massdrop, Meze 99 Classic or Neo.

I haven't listened to either of those, FWIW. I can firsthand recommend the Modhouse Argon, but there's a long wait for those right now.

Some popular dac/amp options in the price range: iFi iDSD Micro Black Label, Schiit Modi Multibit/Magni 3 stack or Jotunheim, JDS Element, Audio-GD NFB-11 or R2R-11

Sep 13, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #5 of 17
hi guys
I want to buy a good dac/amp and good headphone for my pc and I need of your experience and professionality..
I need something that is hip hop and rap oriented,accordingly with a good bass but that can play really equilibrate with other music style like samba pop jazz classic....
my budget is 500$ for dac/amp and 500$ for the headphone
please help me.....thanks a lot !
Audio-GD NFB-11.28 DAC/amp, about $400 (toal) delivered to your front door.
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFN1128/NFB1128EN.htm

So the headphones are for music, do play any FPS gaming or plan on watching Blu-ray movies (on the PC)?

Sep 13, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #6 of 17
Audio-GD NFB-11.28 DAC/amp, about $400 (toal) delivered to your front door.
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFN1128/NFB1128EN.htm

So the headphones are for music, do play any FPS gaming or plan on watching Blu-ray movies (on the PC)?

yes i play games too....but my first options is for the music...specially rap/hip hop music !
thanks man...i have read something about this dac...
my choice is between this dac or the Schiit Jotunheim....

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #7 of 17
If you're not going balanced, I would say get the Audio-GD NFB11 or R2R-11. (I got the NFB-11 before the R2R came out, but I see lots of people like it). No need to pay extra if you won't utilize the balanced output. So depends on the headphones you are going to pick.

I see you are in Brazil, so not sure how headphone selection over there is. Is used gear an option? Lots of options to consider, my best advice would be to take your time and do some research. Lots of information in these forums on the products mentioned above.

Sep 13, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #8 of 17
If you're not going balanced, I would say get the Audio-GD NFB11 or R2R-11. (I got the NFB-11 before the R2R came out, but I see lots of people like it). No need to pay extra if you won't utilize the balanced output. So depends on the headphones you are going to pick.

I see you are in Brazil, so not sure how headphone selection over there is. Is used gear an option? Lots of options to consider, my best advice would be to take your time and do some research. Lots of information in these forums on the products mentioned above.

ok....yes im brazilian but is not a problem cuz I buy from italy and my parents send to me via ups dhl or something....

Sep 13, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #9 of 17
There is not a lot of closed backs in this price range. The Meze 99 Classics and TH-X00’s are two I would also say take a look at.

Sep 13, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #11 of 17
Well that changes things a lot then. The next thing is what are you wanting to get out of the new headphones? Like what sound signature do you prefer? Yes hip hop and rap but do you want bright and bassy or bassy and warm?

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #12 of 17
ok let me see.....good bass but without those stupid vibration in the ears....i like warm sound..definitely....I love the drums,the sax.....instruments with passion almost sexy like a guitar of george benson....

Sep 14, 2018 at 12:49 AM Post #15 of 17
That makes life a little harder. Honestly, the safest recommendation would be to get like a cheaper set of headphones to see how you feel about them.

Something like Sennheiser HD650 (6xx), or Hifiman (depending on prices over there) with a good amp. I am assuming the used market over there is not as active, so I think those are pretty safe recommendations.

Hope you find a good setup and let us know what you decide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back