DAC/Amp for use with Macbook-->Ultrasone HFI-780
Feb 25, 2009 at 12:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

cms5423

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,
I just got a pair of HFI-780 headphones last week and currently just have them hooked up to my macbook, so Macbook-->HFI-780.

I'm looking for a USB DAC/Amp combo, and was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction.

I want to spend 150$ or less, and was looking at the iBasso D2 Boa, the new Super pro DAC707 (black case), and the Zero 24bit DAC/Amp.
Also, could I get some opinions on a Zero or Alien DAC/Amp combo? Where could I get these prebuilt?

I was wondering if a DAC/Amp would make a noticeable difference in the sound of the headphones, and if there were any other cheaper alternatives I should look at, and where is the cheapest place to buy these?

Sorry for the double post, wasn't sure which category to put this in.

Thanks so much everyone,
Chris

Feb 25, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #3 of 11
What is the cheapest dac/amp combo that will make the biggest improvement in the audio I hear from macbook-->hfi-780? Thanks

Feb 25, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #4 of 11
well that all depends on your ears, the 0404's hp amp is claimed to be "lesser" than a discrete amplifier, however thats subjective (and depends on what its driving), while the FUBAR is claimed to be a great value amp (again, depends what you're driving, and its subjective as well)

honestly, I'm gonna throw a guess that you'll probably note an improvement from any of them, how big really depends on your ears though (and the data going into them, do you have good quality digital files, or are you part of the 96kbps mp3 limewire generation?
tongue.gif
)

Feb 25, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #5 of 11
Well, my library is a mix. It is all minimum of 128kbps but most of it is 192 vbr mp3's.

I'm just looking for something to go between my macbook and my HFI-780's to improve the sound quality. And I really don't want to spend a lot of money, cheaper is better, but I still want it to make a big difference, so like under $150?

Feb 25, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by cms5423 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, my library is a mix. It is all minimum of 128kbps but most of it is 192 vbr mp3's.

I'm just looking for something to go between my macbook and my HFI-780's to improve the sound quality. And I really don't want to spend a lot of money, cheaper is better, but I still want it to make a big difference, so like under $150?

Check out HotAudio. You probably would like the HotUSB1, DAC Destroyer, or Mark IV. These also may be sold on eBay.

Mar 6, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #8 of 11
Yeah, I probably will end up doing A zero DAC/AMP with the optical out. Will a DAC/Amp make a big improvement in macbook audio though? And how would this compare to a gamma-1 DAC+PIMETA Amp combo?

May 24, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #10 of 11
I'm curious if any of you have heard the headphone jack on the old powerbooks to compare? I have a powerbook g4 and think it's pretty good and am curious how good the newer ones sound.

May 24, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #11 of 11
Well, I got into DIY audio. So I built the cmoy as everyone does. I'm about 1/2 way done building my Millett Starving Student Hybrid Amp, and I have plans to build a y1 dac in the future. The cmoy does sound good though, and it's fun to build

Users who are viewing this thread

Back