DAC/AMP for TV with headphones
Dec 27, 2021 at 7:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Heroes Killer

Head-Fier
Greetings fellow head-fiers! :)
I am very inexperienced when it comes to non-portable audio, so I figured it will be best to ask here.

In a few days, I am buying a TV (LG OLED C1 65") and Nvidia Shield Pro as MMC. 99.9% of the time, I will use it with my headphones, so I don't need any speakers etc. And I am trying to find out how to get the best sound from it. :thinking:

My current setup:
- headphones Focal Stellia with 4.4mm TRRRS balanced cable Black Dragon
- Fiio X7 MKII as USB DAC (so far, I was watching movies on PC)
- sometimes Fiio K5 as DAC/AMP

I don't have any special requirements, just the sound quality. It would be great if I could use it with my PC as well without switching cables, but the main purpose is watching movies on the TV.

As far as the price is concerned, let's have two possible categories. The first one would be up to 1500 USD, the second one would be open.
The thing is, I don't necessarily have a limit but I don't want to spend 10k if the improvement would be minimal. Also, I plan to buy Luxury & Precision LP7 when it comes out in a year or two, so I should start saving now. :sweat_smile:

The setup would be probably as follows:
- Nvidia shield as MMC with USB connected external harddrive
- TV connected via HDMI to Nvidia shield for video
- DAC/AMP connected to Nvidia shield for audio
- headphones connected to DAC/AMP --> my ears :L3000:

Have you been in the same situation? What would you recommend? And is it worth it in your eyes (ears) or should I stick with the Fiio K5? I'll be very grateful for any tips and advice.

So far, I have these candidates:
- FiiO K9 Pro
- Topping DX7 Pro
- Topping A90

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back