DAC/AMP for Sony MDR-MA900
Jun 11, 2013 at 10:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

TeeGReeN

New Head-Fier
Hi guys!
I'm sorry for my english I'm writing a google translate.
Soon I will get Sony MDR-MA900 from Japan. But with the source of them I was not defined. Since they have an impedance 12Ohm, then to them ideal amplifier current "Semigor." But now I have no money for the amplifier and DAC separately, so I want to take a low-cost processor or an external USB sound card that can be used in the future as a DAC to amp "Semigor". I listened MA900 on the Audiolab M-DAC and I loved this bunch. The sound was warm, soft, punchy.
My wishes:
1) The budget is desirable to $ 300-350, but if necessary it will expand. (better to wait save up, but I will for sure) used also consider.
2) The sound is soft, enveloping, fat and warm. That is, the tonal character M-DAC, but in a simplified form by a small budget. HM601/602 say to them is good and the character of the sound work.
3) The size is not more than the Xbox 360, that would be placed in a bag for transportation. I would certainly quite compact device as the iBasso D12, but the nature of its sound I do not much like it. But seriously I do not sacrifice sound ready.
4) Ability to use as a DAC for Semigor home.
5) The ability to use a USB DAC.

I think the main focus should be on the DAC as in the future will be bought by an external amplifier "Semigor."
Built-in amplifier must be designed for low impedance.

Thank you! 
smile_phones.gif

Jun 12, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #2 of 6
Semigor? Are you from a former USSR country? I will try to use simple sentences. It will make the translation easier to understand.

If I am reading your message correctly...

0. You have a Sony MDR-MA900.
1. You want a DAC for the MA900. The DAC should not be expensive (~$350).
2. The DAC should have similar sound to the Audiolab M-DAC.
3. The DAC should be transportable (can be placed in a bag). The size of the iBasso D12 is perfect, but you did not like its sound quality. It should not be the size of an Xbox 360.
4. You want to get a Semigor amplifier later. The DAC should work good with the Semigor.
5. The DAC must have a USB connection.

I am a beginner to amplifiers, so I cannot give a good recommendation. I hope this post makes it easier for other people to help you.

There is one thing you should know about the MA900. The MA900 has a resistor circuit. The resistor is good for simple connections (laptop, phone, PSP, etc. without amplifier), but is bad for low Ohm amplifiers. If you plan to use the MA900 with a low Ohm amp, you should consider bypassing the resistor.

You can read information about the resistor circuit here (the "2. A resistive voltage divider within" section):
http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/2012/07/sony-mdr-ma900-in-depth-analysis.html

You can read information about bypassing the resistor here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/637267/sony-ma900-vs-sony-cd900st#post_8885894

Jun 12, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #3 of 6
Oh, thank you very much, HalidePiscesthat responded to my question!
Semigor? Are you from a former USSR country?

Yes, I'm from the Russian Federation. Semigor - this amp for low-impedance headphones, designed by Igor Semynin. They say it is ideal for low-impedance headphones as has a large output current and low resistance. Also, it's pretty cheap as it is homemade ($ 150-300).
I will try to use simple sentences. It will make the translation easier to understand.

I am ashamed for my knowledge of English and I intend shortly to correct this omission. Excuse me, what brings you any inconvenience.
3. The DAC should be transportable (can be placed in a bag). The size of the iBasso D12 is perfect, but you did not like its sound quality. It should not be the size of an Xbox 360.
4. You want to get a Semigor amplifier later. The DAC should work good with the Semigor.

0. soon will come
1. DAC with headphone output in addition to the line-out. In order that you could use outside the home as an external sound card.
2. Yes. Perhaps any other warm, soft, punchy sound.
3. Yes. I did not like D12 sound character on rock compositions. He is very sandy and unpleasant to the ear. On the other genres is not bad. It should not be more than Xbox 360. For example.
4. Yes.
5. Yes.
You can read information about the resistor circuit here (the "2. A resistive voltage divider within" section):
http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/2012/07/sony-mdr-ma900-in-depth-analysis.html

Thank you! But I'm already familiar with this material)
There is one thing you should know about the MA900. The MA900 has a resistor circuit. The resistor is good for simple connections (laptop, phone, PSP, etc. without amplifier), but is bad for low Ohm amplifiers. If you plan to use the MA900 with a low Ohm amp, you should consider bypassing the resistor.

If I remove the resistors, the headphones will work as well with a player?
You can read information about bypassing the resistor here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/637267/sony-ma900-vs-sony-cd900st#post_8885894

Thanks for the info!

I was invited to continue the discussion in the forum thread profile. However, I will follow any responses here.

Jun 21, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #5 of 6
As I understand it, you would need amps if it was hard to drive (volume wise).
It is a 12ohm headphone, so I guess you shouldn't have any troubles with any source.
If you do opt for buying an amp, you should take a look at the output impedance, as a rule of thumb it should be smaller than 8-10 times the impedance of the headphone (it has to do with the voltage divisor I think).
Anyway, I don't completely understand what the "resistor circuit" is you talk about, do you mean its impedance is purely resistive?

If I remove the resistors, the headphones will work as well with a player?

I think they're actually put there to make them easier to drive with regular players.

Apr 9, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #6 of 6
Semigor? Are you from a former USSR country? I will try to use simple sentences. It will make the translation easier to understand.

If I am reading your message correctly...

I am a beginner to amplifiers, so I cannot give a good recommendation. I hope this post makes it easier for other people to help you.

Hi so are you saying the Ma900s wont do well with something like a magni 3 with 0.3 ohm or fiio e17k with 1.1 output impedance??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back