DAC / AMP for Sennheiser HD800!
Feb 27, 2017 at 1:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

gotoma8

Head-Fier
Hi all,

Looking from some feedback on a Dac/Amp combo for the HD800!  

Sold the Oppo HA-1, loved it but wanted something that matched the HD800 better.  Want more body, musicality and tone.

Any recommendations?  Budget to be at $1500 max.

Thanks

Feb 28, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #2 of 9
You may want to try those Schiit products. You can buy an amp/dac separately and they even have a dac/amp combo. Schiit products have a very good reputation when it comes to audio quality. Here is a link to their website for more information:

http://schiit.com/

Feb 28, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #3 of 9
Looking from some feedback on a Dac/Amp combo for the HD800!  

Sold the Oppo HA-1, loved it but wanted something that matched the HD800 better.  Want more body, musicality and tone.

Any recommendations?  Budget to be at $1500 max.

Any DAC and use it with the WooAudio WA3 with the tube upgrade options.

Mar 1, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #4 of 9
Hi and thank you for the recommendation on the Schitt.  I've had their BiFrost, with the Uber upgrade and though I liked it much, I was not the DAC for me.  I have not tried their headphones though and perhaps should try their balance headphones amps and see how it sounds.  Anyone have experience with their Mjolhir 2 Balanced HP amp or the new JOTUNHEIM?

Mar 1, 2017 at 6:04 PM Post #5 of 9
I think the Ayre Codex may be what you seek. In my opinion, more natural sounding than anything from Schiit.

Mar 9, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #6 of 9
WA7 with the DAC, it's not the best DAC in the world, but it's great all in one for those of us who don't want to spend 5k or more. If you have the budget, then there are many others here that would be glad to help you spend the cash. :)

JT

Mar 17, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #8 of 9
  WA7 with the DAC, it's not the best DAC in the world, but it's great all in one for those of us who don't want to spend 5k or more. If you have the budget, then there are many others here that would be glad to help you spend the cash. :)

JT

Thanks but I really wanted something that was balanced and offered balanced HP Out.  So far I really like the Jotunheim.  Now let's see how it sounds once broken in.  But first impressions with the HD800 are very positive!  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back