Dac / Amp for Senn hd650 for budding audiophile on a budget?
Mar 29, 2012 at 12:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Bonobo Loco

100+ Head-Fier
I'm pretty new to the audiophile community. At this point what I'm using is the hd380 with my laptop as source, flac > foobar/wasapi, and a Creative X-Fi go pro external usb sound card.

With this setup, which I guess most of the head-fi community would probably refer to as "budget fi", since I got the headphones and sound card for a combined ~$200, I've been enjoying music more than ever before in my life. It's been a really great addition to my life and money well spent. So what I want to do is take the next step up into the world of hi-fi, or at least "mid fi"... different people would draw the line in different places but I'm sure you get what I'm saying.

So my intention is just to get more of the same kind of sound. I really like the Sennheiser signature compared with some of the other high end brands I've heard. So I want to pick up the hd650 and need to decide on some kind of dac/amp. I can run it straight from the sound card like I am with the 380's, but I have a feeling that I wouldn't really get the "true" sound of the 650's without some kind of proper dac/amp. I've 

A few things to consider:

1. I listen to mostly indie rock, classical, and sometimes electronica. I know that the 650 isn't really the best set for electronica but it's ok, that doesn't make up the bulk of my listening.

2. I've been listening for the most part, quietly. My laptop volume is normally from like 10-25% of max. For whatever reason, I normally enjoy that better than super loud. So I don't need an amp to blow me away with volume. 

3. What I'm looking for is clarity of sound and a big, expansive, draws-you-in feeling. I don't want anything that could add any signal noise. 

4. I'm buying on a budget, so the goal is something that accomplishes all this without a huge capital investment. I'm open to portable, non-portable or semi-portable, tube, solid state, whatever. Something reliable, durable, and economical (not cheap stuff but high price/performance ratio).

I looked around the forum for a while before posting this... if there is already a good thread for people in my situation, links to threads like that would be helpful.

Anyway guys thanks in advance for any help. It's been really nice to have a place like this where you can learn from the expertise of audiophiles around the world before making any big (and potentially stupid and wasteful) financial decisions.

Mar 29, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #2 of 4
4. I'm buying on a budget, so the goal is something that accomplishes all this without a huge capital investment. I'm open to portable, non-portable or semi-portable, tube, solid state, whatever. Something reliable, durable, and economical (not cheap stuff but high price/performance ratio).

Have a budget in mind?

Some high price/perf ratio equipment:
Solid State amp: Objective 2 . Has portability though its not tiny, $150. Can DIY for less than 100.
Tube amp: Bottlehead Crack. Great DIY kit. $279. If you aren't good with a soldering iron Bottlehead can build it for you for a fee.
DAC: HRT Music Streamer II. $150

Apr 5, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #3 of 4
Bottlehead crack, maybe even a cheap tube Woo audio amp, la figaro 332C or even the cheap la figaro 336SE. All seems like the best budget amps for you HD650. Don't listen to comments about rock music and HD650, you will love it, I really do!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back