DAC & Amp for non-portable use, newbie requesting for help/advice*
May 25, 2011 at 11:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Nightslayer

500+ Head-Fier
I wasn't too sure if this should go in the DIY section or the non-portable source/amp section, but considering I am asking about all three I figured the DIY would be the best place to put up this thread since the other two have specific sub-forums for each component.

AFAIK the DIY section doesn't have a collated knowledge database like the headphones section does, and if it does pardon my starting an unnecessary thread. A bit of background to my DIY skills and my setup, my rig would be:
Portable: iPod touch 3G --> Low profile LOD --> Headstage Arrow 3G --> 1964-T
Home: iPod touch 3G --> Low profile LOD --> Headstage Arrow 3G --> Grado SR60, modded
As you can see, I have no non-portable gear. My DIY skills as of now are limited to recabling headphones and making interconnects, I have experience with the Grados as well as 30 pin and 3.5mm connectors.

Till date most of my reading on this forum has been in the portable audio section, and I am completely new to both DACs and non-portable amps, which I am now looking into. I go for price:performance ratio, so if anyone could suggest a decent DAC/Amp which I could look into for non-portable use with my woodied SR60s that would be great (I'd prefer not to use tubes). Also, I am completely open to (and actually would rather) the prospect of DIYing both components, so a few questions:
1. Would it be stupid of someone with no experience with schematics and PCBs to attempt a project like the M3 amp? Should I start with a CMoy kit (perhaps purchased on eBay) first?
2. What differentiates the quality of different DACs? Would there be noticable, obvious differences between the completely entry-level NuForce uDAC and say, a Meier Symphony?
2. Are there DIY-able DACs? So far I haven't come across any as of yet.
3. Where can parts for these be sourced (preferably inexpensively, I am a student still with a limited budget)? I live in Singapore.

Thanks for the help in advance! :)

May 25, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #2 of 11
Have you looked through the offerings here?
An M^3 would be a nice "starter" desktop amp.
Pair it with a Y1/2 for the DAC.

May 26, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #3 of 11

Quote:
Have you looked through the offerings here?
An M^3 would be a nice "starter" desktop amp.
Pair it with a Y1/2 for the DAC.

How much of a familiarity with electrical engineering and the knowledge of reading schematics is required for such projects? The M^3 and the Y1 look like a decent starting point to begin.

May 26, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #4 of 11
AMB.org has really good documentation, you just need to read the pages thoroughly...  also there is support in his own forums should you run into trouble. 
I would suggest trying to learn to read schematics as it will help you down the line.  the M3 shouldn't be too hard, but the Y-1 has some SMD components which may be a little troublesome.  be sure to have a decent soldering iron and lots of flux. 
You can do it if you just take it one step at a time.

May 26, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #5 of 11
How would the Dynalo compare to the M^3? I've been reading around the page and its name popped up, also stating its apparently good synergy with Grados.

May 26, 2011 at 2:18 AM Post #6 of 11

Quote:
1. Would it be stupid of someone with no experience with schematics and PCBs to attempt a project like the M3 amp? Should I start with a CMoy kit (perhaps purchased on eBay) first?
2. What differentiates the quality of different DACs? Would there be noticable, obvious differences between the completely entry-level NuForce uDAC and say, a Meier Symphony?
2. Are there DIY-able DACs? So far I haven't come across any as of yet.

• No you shouldn't start with a CMOY kit. The kits require almost no experience. The real benefit of building a CMOY is sourcing the parts and wiring it up on a protoboard yourself. 
  • There are definitively noticeable and obvious differences between DACs
  • Here is a list of DACs:
    http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=275123
    I
    t's not comprehensive in the slightest, but it does include almost all the DIY options.

May 26, 2011 at 2:53 AM Post #7 of 11
including buying all the gear to do it not having anything like the other basic tools needed also to fill out your bench for the first time, plus your time, parts, shipping, if you are doing this in an effort to save money, forget it, DIY rarely saves money. now if you are doing it with a view to learn something new and get the satisfaction of building something great sounding, just how you want it, then sure you wont be disappointed.

i have repeated it outside this thread and i will repeat it here

DIY does NOT save money, people starting out with this purpose as the driving factor should think again.

that doesnt even factor in the inevitable diy affliction that will follow, because you will not be able to build just one amp, or just one dac (i find it odd that you didnt find any diy dac projects, the net is full of them)

May 26, 2011 at 4:03 AM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
including buying all the gear to do it not having anything like the other basic tools needed also to fill out your bench for the first time, plus your time, parts, shipping, if you are doing this in an effort to save money, forget it, DIY rarely saves money. now if you are doing it with a view to learn something new and get the satisfaction of building something great sounding, just how you want it, then sure you wont be disappointed.

i have repeated it outside this thread and i will repeat it here

DIY does NOT save money, people starting out with this purpose as the driving factor should think again.

that doesnt even factor in the inevitable diy affliction that will follow, because you will not be able to build just one amp, or just one dac (i find it odd that you didnt find any diy dac projects, the net is full of them)

I have realized that after building my fifth or sixth LOD cable and purchasing the parts to do so, but thank you for your clarification. It did start off as my incentive, but over a while the simple pleasure of having made the component myself became the driving force for my further projects.

May 26, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #9 of 11
then you are in good shape, i meant no condescension, its just so many people think that.  i would also have a look around diyaudio forums, there is a wider range of projects there.

May 26, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #10 of 11
It does seem to me that you do start saving money when you start building higher end items.
And there are certain things that are stupid expensive in the aftermarket... ie. cables

Now.. after you add labor and risk into the mix, you probably lose money..

/me shrugs

May 28, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #11 of 11
yep, thats right, it can seem like you are saving money until you take all factors into account, time being a big one :) so enjoying the process is a must. Some crazy expensive items you are probably right half the time, depends on whether you try to match them for chassis bling. Designing a one off solid cnc alloy chassis and custom heatsinks including its design, is a big ticket item and where a large chunk of change from the sale goes.

Sure, if you are happy that you can match cable makers production quality without practice (some harder than others) and can source the materials you want, then you can probably save money there too if you already have the gear. If you already have the gear then you would often just make it anyway right? its still possible to save coin on some stuff, i'm just saying its definitely the wrong motivation, as it sure doesnt apply across the board.

anyway thats enought off topic posting in here for me, hopefully the OP enjoys a successful project

Users who are viewing this thread

Back