Dac/Amp for markl modded D5000 or Ultrasone PRO 900
Jan 29, 2009 at 6:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

oqvist

Headphoneus Supremus
Okay here goes I have no experience whatsoever on standalone DACS... I am currently sitting on an Elite PRO. I have no problem with the sound quality but may opt for a change... I don´t expect it to last forever there is to many parts on soundcards that can start acting up. Am I right that I should be able to expect a standalone DAC to last a life time and just sound better with more use? That is one criteria that have to be met to justify a purchase. I do want bang for the buck but rather be safe and sorry that it´s indead an upgrade over my Elite PRO.

As for sound I want details for sure. But maybe a bit warmer the Elite PRO is very cold and analytical... Maybe I can start focusing on the music rather than the details with a warmer source.

the PRO 900 do have a strong bass so the DAC should if anything tighten this without loosing bass of course. D5000 I haven´t got yet but it´s also supposed to be strong in this department. they are both low ohms so they should in theory suite my heed Canamp fine? I don´t know how well regarded that is though but I suspect it would be best to spend the money on a dedicated DAC rather then a DAC/AMP combo?

the D5000 have the option for running balanced and then I would need the combo or I would have to switch amplifier I suppose. Is it really worth the expense over unbalanced solutions?
The DAC also need to have optical out not USB.

I have looked at Keces TA 131.1. Thinking of the copper upgrade to make it a bit warmer than the 90$ silver upgrade. but also their combined DAC/AMP. How good is that amp compared to the Heed? the DAC it uses seem inferior in specs even to Elite PROs... Heard of Zhaolus and DacMagic, small dots but it´s a jungle out there. As mentioned I am on my last set of headphones now it´s either PRO 900 or D5000 or both so that is fixed. the amp/Dac can suck all it want for high impedance headphones I don´t care
smily_headphones1.gif

As for price I don´t want to pay more then needed of course but say 400$ as a limit... If you suggest DAC/AMP combos higher priced you better proof why it´s so much better
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 29, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #2 of 9
The EMU 0404 USB has balanced out (for use with a balanced amp in the future if you want, although those amps are usually expensive), SPDIF in/out, USB in if you want, dual mic capabilities, built-in amp if you need to use it (although getting a separate standalone amp is recommended. I'll be running a soon-to-be-here D5000 through a Purity Audio K.I.C.A.S. connected to my EMU 0404 USB soon enough).

Just make sure you update it to the latest firmware when you buy it (if you do) and you're all set.

There are plenty of other options, but this is one I have personal experience with and I'm quite happy with it.

Jan 29, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #3 of 9
oh so I may not be able to get balanced out of my Elite PRO... It has a better DAC than the EMU 0404 so I am afraid that would feel more like a downgrade...

I also noticed some DAC/AMP grounded here in Head fi the compass?

Nov 17, 2010 at 7:16 AM Post #5 of 9
 Quote:
  Hi oqvist, Just wondering if you decided on a DAC and amp for your 900s, and the outcome?

... pretty old posting you´ve got there ... but if you´re interested i could share my experience ...

I´m very! happy with my current chain: Sonos ZP90 -> EE MiniMax DAC -> M-Stage (Matrix) HPA-1 (627 Class A biased 3,3k) -> Pro900 ... if you´ve got any specific question ... go on.

Before i bought the EE MiniMax DAC i had the Musiland 02 and that was a pretty lousy combination ... the Musiland 02 got decent highs but lacks terrible in low frequencys ... the MiniMax feeds the Amp just perfect with a very punchy low-section.

greetings,
neopac

Nov 17, 2010 at 12:35 PM Post #6 of 9
Hi neopac,

I have heard many reports that the 900s don't really benefit from an amp, do you have any comments on this?

Cheers,

Quote:
 Quote:
  Hi oqvist, Just wondering if you decided on a DAC and amp for your 900s, and the outcome?

... pretty old posting you´ve got there ... but if you´re interested i could share my experience ...

I´m very! happy with my current chain: Sonos ZP90 -> EE MiniMax DAC -> M-Stage (Matrix) HPA-1 (627 Class A biased 3,3k) -> Pro900 ... if you´ve got any specific question ... go on.

Before i bought the EE MiniMax DAC i had the Musiland 02 and that was a pretty lousy combination ... the Musiland 02 got decent highs but lacks terrible in low frequencys ... the MiniMax feeds the Amp just perfect with a very punchy low-section.

greetings,
neopac

Nov 17, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #7 of 9
I have heard many reports that the 900s don't really benefit from an amp, do you have any comments on this?

it's not true that they don't benefit from being amped ... you could say that (compared to phones like akg 401-701) they will (can) work without amp ... but even with a high-power DAP like s:flo or cowon d2 there is a (positive) difference when you pair them with an ibasso or m-stage beside from the fact that they will be louder ... mostly low frequency get more punch and texture.

but it makes no sense to generalise ... Dap don't equals Dap ... Amp don't equals Amp.

neopac

Nov 17, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #9 of 9
Quite a bump.

The Pro 900 do benefit a lot with better sources/amps. They are very detailed and not forgiving for a dime. You will have no problem getting volume out of portable devices though.

Currently I settled for a Audio GD Ref9/Goldpoint Headphone Pro and Trafomator Head One. Mostly listen to the Audeze LCD-2 and Ultrasone Edition 8 nowadays.
Now you can learn something about this. Check the prices of the gear I had back then and what my current gear cost and you will understand why this is considered a very evil place :wink:.

For a budget system maybe something like a Behringer DEQ2496 and use it as both a DAC and equalizer? If you are going for an amp anyway so you get your headphone jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back