DAC & Amp for Macbook Pro
Sep 9, 2012 at 8:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Calle

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I am getting my first desktop rig for my Macbook Pro. I have been searching the net for various DAC's and amps. The two first I found was the RSA The Predator USB DAC and Headamp Pico USB DAC where everything is rolled together in one housing. I am looking for a solution where I have a separate DAC and amp. I wanted to ask if you guys might have an idea of what components I could choose from.

I am currently looking at the RME Babyface (http://www.rme-audio.de/products_babyface.php) and the Apogee Duet 2 (http://apogeedigital.com/products/duet2.php) but I am unsure if I can connect them from MBP > DAC > amp. I see that both has different outputs but can either of them work as a standalone DAC that feeds an amp, like the ALO Audio Continental v2 or any of RSA's amps.

EDIT: The Duet 2 has 1 Stereo headphone OUT, can I plug this out to a separate amp?

Any thoughts or ideas are most welcome!

Sep 10, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #2 of 11
Is there a particular reason you chose audio interfaces instead of stand-alone DACs?  Are you going to use their other functions (i.e recording/production?)

Seeing that you have two headphones that are balanced capable, take a look at the thread for the Schiit Mjolnir ($749) 

Suggestions could be narrowed down more if you give us a budget.

Sep 10, 2012 at 5:31 AM Post #3 of 11
I chose the Apogee because I have heard it makes a nice sound. I am also looking at stand-alone DACS but I haven't found any that will work with USB to DAC to amp.

The headphones in my tag line will not be used for the setup, I am mainly going to use it with a pair of IEM and maybe my Sennheiser HD800.

Budget is irrelevant. i am after a semi portable rig.

Sep 10, 2012 at 5:56 AM Post #4 of 11
The problem is I can't find a DAC that has the output or is it input that can feed amp. The Apogee Duet 2 has a breakout cable for a stereo jack but I don't know if that will work.

Sep 10, 2012 at 7:35 AM Post #6 of 11
I have researched that the headphone out on the Macbook is also a digital out. Can I hook that connection to a DAC and from that into an amp?

I also see that the Macbook has a mini toslink connection. Will this work to a DAC?

Sep 10, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #7 of 11
Taking into account that you want something semi-portable....

I'd look into a Musical Fidelity V-Link 192 USB to a Lehmann Audio Black Cube Linear.

I think this would offer a very high quality sound that is visually 'matched' as well with them both being a brushed aluminum casing.

Not sure how the amp would do for sensitive IEM's but should match extremely well with the HD800's.

Sep 10, 2012 at 7:57 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
Taking into account that you want something semi-portable....

I'd look into a Musical Fidelity V-Link 192 USB to a Lehmann Audio Black Cube Linear.

I think this would offer a very high quality sound that is visually 'matched' as well with them both being a brushed aluminum casing.

Not sure how the amp would do for sensitive IEM's but should match extremely well with the HD800's.

Those two DAC's look very good but can I connect them to an amp? As I have stated I want a separate DAC and amp. Can any of RSA's amps be connected with these dacs and which inputs (or is it outputs) can I you? I am looking at the RSA SR-71B but don't know if that has the ability to go into a DAC and onwards into my Macbook.

Sep 10, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #9 of 11
The Musical Fidelity is a DAC, the Lehmann is an amp.

Sep 10, 2012 at 8:34 AM Post #11 of 11
Can I hook a USB DAC up to for example a Ray Samuels SR-71B? What outputs does the DAC need to do that? Sorry for all the questions but I am a complete noob when it comes to this type of stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back