DAC/AMP for Iphone 6sPlus - Lightning Connector?
Aug 5, 2016 at 4:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Rlocksley

New Head-Fier
Dont think anyone can say i dont do my homework (cept my Mom in High School).  So i have been combing the forums, trying to see if there was one definitive answer on whether using the lightning jack to pass DIGITAL audio to your external DAC/Amp was the fact.  Im happy to say, it is.  

I pulled the pinouts from the manufacturer of the plug, the circuitry behind it, and even the schematics for data types, and it is very real.  I really thought that it was, but read in a few places, and told by someone whos opinion i respect, that that wasnt the case, so i had to research for myself.  

Now what i need to find out, is if the DACs out there are better than the native ones in the iPhones, or should i just be looking for an external amp that would be fed from the analog 3.5 jack?  I find i have to have the volume up at 2 or 3 ticks from max, and im sure that is introducing distortion, although i dont believe im hearing any.  (Once i solve the power problem, i may come back and talk about how lovely and clean the sound is NOW that i have added an amp).

I absolutely love that i have found these forums, as i have been listening to high quality sound for decades, but it is hard to carry around my Stax Srd-7s and associated amp, particularly on airplanes!  And although the Bose QC25s get rid of so much of the noise, they arent really faithful reproductions of anything musical.  And if any of you are still listening to BEATS, you need to go audition something that will make you smile. Now that i have the Sennheiser ie800s, i see what ive been missing, and want to have the best chance, at the best sound., so i appreciate all the advice!

RL

Aug 5, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #2 of 4
Dont think anyone can say i dont do my homework (cept my Mom in High School).  So i have been combing the forums, trying to see if there was one definitive answer on whether using the lightning jack to pass DIGITAL audio to your external DAC/Amp was the fact.  Im happy to say, it is.  

I pulled the pinouts from the manufacturer of the plug, the circuitry behind it, and even the schematics for data types, and it is very real.  I really thought that it was, but read in a few places, and told by someone whos opinion i respect, that that wasnt the case, so i had to research for myself.  

Now what i need to find out, is if the DACs out there are better than the native ones in the iPhones, or should i just be looking for an external amp that would be fed from the analog 3.5 jack?  I find i have to have the volume up at 2 or 3 ticks from max, and im sure that is introducing distortion, although i dont believe im hearing any.  (Once i solve the power problem, i may come back and talk about how lovely and clean the sound is NOW that i have added an amp).

I absolutely love that i have found these forums, as i have been listening to high quality sound for decades, but it is hard to carry around my Stax Srd-7s and associated amp, particularly on airplanes!  And although the Bose QC25s get rid of so much of the noise, they arent really faithful reproductions of anything musical.  And if any of you are still listening to BEATS, you need to go audition something that will make you smile. Now that i have the Sennheiser ie800s, i see what ive been missing, and want to have the best chance, at the best sound., so i appreciate all the advice!

RL
I heard this at a meet this spring and it was really good sounding for sure.
https://soundapproach.com/centrance-hifi-skyn-iphone-case-with-battery-dac-amp.html?gclid=CLmowM-aq84CFQEEaQodlmIPjg It is a little pricey but really good.

Aug 5, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #3 of 4
http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2AM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter?fnode=85

The above item will get you a digital out signal to usb. You can insert your favorite DAC here without worrying about pin outs. Hope this helps / Rick

Aug 5, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #4 of 4
I just left a review of the Audioquest Dragonfly 1.5 - works equally well for iPhone, I imagine - will bypass onboard DAC/amp using a lightning adaptor in your case. I think it sounds brilliant with the right source/pairing. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back