Dac/Amp for HD598
Apr 16, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #31 of 37
I love my HD598's and have enjoyed them even more with the iBasso D7, but now I have taken them to a new level with a Bellari HA540 amp (which uses a 12ax7 tube). I am using the D7 dac via the RCA out, and got my hands on a vintage Sylvania tube for the Bellari...the results are simply amazing! Not long ago I would have thought it impossible to get this level of sound quality from a computer (imac & alac files). I also have the AKG Q701 which is also great with this setup, but the Senns are otherworldly! I'm a happy camper...
beerchug.gif

Apr 17, 2012 at 5:08 AM Post #32 of 37
Thanks for your reply.
So you are using iBasso D7 with Bellari HA540 amp?
Can you describe how it sounds with the HD598 and the Q701? 
Quote:
I love my HD598's and have enjoyed them even more with the iBasso D7, but now I have taken them to a new level with a Bellari HA540 amp (which uses a 12ax7 tube). I am using the D7 dac via the RCA out, and got my hands on a vintage Sylvania tube for the Bellari...the results are simply amazing! Not long ago I would have thought it impossible to get this level of sound quality from a computer (imac & alac files). I also have the AKG Q701 which is also great with this setup, but the Senns are otherworldly! I'm a happy camper...
beerchug.gif

Apr 17, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #33 of 37

Quote:
Thanks for your reply.
So you are using iBasso D7 with Bellari HA540 amp?
Can you describe how it sounds with the HD598 and the Q701? 

The D7/Bellari combo has great synergy with the HD598 IMHO. The sound is so much "bigger" than with the D7 alone (don't get me wrong, the D7 is quite nice solo - but the amp adds that warmth and "magic" you get with tubes). The D7 provides resolution and the detail and separation you get with a 24 bit asynchronous dac. All the qualities of the HD598 are enhanced with this setup-a lot! The tube itself is no doubt a big factor also - the nos Sylvania is a heck of an improvement over the cheapo Chinese tube that the amp comes with! I've used the D6 and Nuforce with these phones and while they are not bad this is the best I've heard them sound. I will do some more listening with the AKG Q701 before attempting to describe the difference with them. Hope this is helpful...

Apr 20, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #35 of 37
Just wondering if I would have the same or better sound if I use the D10 with the HA540?
Quote:
The D7/Bellari combo has great synergy with the HD598 IMHO. The sound is so much "bigger" than with the D7 alone (don't get me wrong, the D7 is quite nice solo - but the amp adds that warmth and "magic" you get with tubes). The D7 provides resolution and the detail and separation you get with a 24 bit asynchronous dac. All the qualities of the HD598 are enhanced with this setup-a lot! The tube itself is no doubt a big factor also - the nos Sylvania is a heck of an improvement over the cheapo Chinese tube that the amp comes with! I've used the D6 and Nuforce with these phones and while they are not bad this is the best I've heard them sound. I will do some more listening with the AKG Q701 before attempting to describe the difference with them. Hope this is helpful...

Jul 30, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #36 of 37
Quote:
I have read some of the posts here about HD598 and I still cannot get the answer of how to choose a suitable dac/amp for HD598.
Here's the situation.

I bought the HD598 a year ago and I have tried a lot of dac and dac combos for the HD598. Since this is the first time I bought a headphone (in the past I was just using a Sony earphone for about US$40 ), I think I chose the wrong headphone. I am not saying that the HD598 does not suit me because before buying it I thought I will be using the headphone without a dac/amp. But then when I found out that my HD598 do need a dac, I started to regret for my decision.  

I tried the filo series(e7,e9 etc.), nuforce, fire stone( 4,fubar 2 usb dac), and finally X-can v8p and M1 HPA. 
I have to say that I cannot stand the quality of the dacs before the X-can v8p on my above list. It sounds much better for the X-can v8p with HD598 but with narrower soundstage compared to the M1 HPA. The only thing I am not satisfied with the M1 HPA is the bass. The bass is too much when using HD598 since I like all the fequencies(low, middle and high) to be balanced. This makes me feel that M1 HPA with HD598 is too dark for hearing female vocals. I am wondering if this can be solved by adjusting the EQ.

I have to say that M1 HPA did a great job and I would buy it if the problem mentioned can be solved, but it seems that using M1 HPA with HD598 is a bit of waste. I may buy a new headphone about 2 years later since I have never tried a high nominal impedance headphone yet. It seems that when I am having a dac/amp it would be better for me to get something like HD800( to me, HD600 or HD650 have too much bass) or headphones at the range of $600. This means that I need a more powerful dac in the future.

So here's my questions:

1.What dac/amp/combo shall I buy in order to suit the HD598? Or I have to consider my headphone upgrade two years lager(buying a more powerful dac)?

2.I am not sure if I should buy a dac or a combo. My friends said that combo is simplier but having less variety of sound( as dac and amp cannot be changed in a combo). If my budget is less than US$800, what are my choices?

Thanks a lot.

====================================================

Now I think I shall buy a dac maximum $400-$500 and an amp for $150-$250.

P.S.     Just a reminder, I want a broad and balanced sound.
P.S.2   In addition to the amp: It would be nice to have the RCA input, but this is not a must, so please recommend any amp you know that can suit the HD598.

Thanks.

on ebay there is a Benalli ha540 tube amp for 224, it has high and low rca imputs in the back and sounds great with the 598's

Jul 30, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #37 of 37
Quote:
beerchug.gif

what changes did the Sylvania tube do compared with the stock one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back