Dac/amp for Grado sr325e
Nov 28, 2014 at 7:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

SimoF

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, I'm a beginner, after years of using ipod classic and IEM like Sennheiser cx300 I've finally bought the Grado sr325e. I'll use them with my macbook pro and now I have to buy a usb DAC e amp. I want it to be bus powered via USB, so no external alimentation. And, if it is possible, dac and amp shouldn't be separated.
A friend who owns these cans told me that a tube amp is quite better for there Grado. So I surfed the web a bit looking for the best compromise under 200$ (better if under 150$).

I find out the FiiO e10k, and the Aune T1 (tube amp and dac, if the tube is not so good i think it could be changed with a better one).

I repeat I'm a a beginner and I apologize for my bad english, I'm italian. 

Can you tell me if these to choices are good and which one is better to buy? Or maybe there are other good DAC/AMP under 150/200$ that worth buying for the sr325e?

Thank you very much!

Nov 28, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #3 of 17
Yes you're right, but i'd like to know if it worth that money, because if you tell me that for the grado a tube amp (the t1) is better than the fiio, the power supply is a compromise i could accept

Dec 1, 2014 at 7:47 AM Post #4 of 17
Hi,

I am actually planning in getting myself the combo Grado 325e + USB DAC/AMP. After reading and trying different solutions I came to the conclusion that the Dragonfly is one of the best value for the money.

I have tried myself the Dragonfly 1.2 DAC + AMP from Audioquest with a Grado 325e, MacBook pro and the difference in sound quality was quite astonishing. Getting more expensive gear will require you to get also better sources...e.g. getting around with CDs or buying lossless audio from Itunes.

However, I have tried different sources for 1h or so at shop with the above configuration. I tried CDs, Spotify premium and iTunes. In all cases the level of details was way increased. Plugging back the headphones to the normal output was like listening another song!! The AMP integrated in the dragonfly will also have the other side of making you lowering the listening volume to almost rock bottom...as it will get pretty loud :)

If you consider getting the Dragonfly, remember to look for the version 1.2 (latest), and consider getting a dragontail cable too to avoid beaks.

Best,
Fabio

Dec 1, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #5 of 17

I find out the FiiO e10k, and the Aune T1 (tube amp and dac, if the tube is not so good i think it could be changed with a better one).

There's also the Ibasso D-Zero II. It can run off its own battery so it won't draw a lot of power from the laptop. I have the original, and I charged it full using a separate charger two months ago, used it on average two hours daily (at low volume just past the imbalance level as I use an IEM 90% of the time, and the HD600 for the rest) so that's roughly 100hrs on a single full charge. I only recharged it this weekend. With that kind of batterylife wear won't be a problem for a loooong time (plus my A/C blows towards the desk, so for the two hours I use it it's usually ice cold). 

Dec 1, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #6 of 17
I bought the Aune T1 to go with my Grado SR80i, which made a big difference already. Then I accidentally found myself in the US (am European) and just had to take advantage of the cheaper Grado pricing there. So I'm now the proud owner of an SR325e. Don't have much to compare it to but it sounds a whole lot better than my SR80i ever did.

My main gripe is that now the DAC+headphones sounds shockingly better than my stereo so more stuff to upgrade, I fear :)

Dec 1, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #7 of 17
I bought the Aune T1 to go with my Grado SR80i, which made a big difference already. Then I accidentally found myself in the US (am European) and just had to take advantage of the cheaper Grado pricing there. So I'm now the proud owner of an SR325e. Don't have much to compare it to but it sounds a whole lot better than my SR80i ever did.

My main gripe is that now the DAC+headphones sounds shockingly better than my stereo so more stuff to upgrade, I fear :)

Welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet...

Dec 3, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #8 of 17
If you're still in the market I suggest the Meridian Explorer. I own both the Grado SR325e and Explorer, and I have to say they sound amazing together. Much more powerful in the low end and the separation is greatly improved as well as general detail. Highly recommended.

P.S. Buy the first version, not the brand new one, it's $150 bucks on Amazon, can't beat it.

Dec 9, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #9 of 17
Hi guys, thank you for your advices, they were very useful.
Finally I decided to buy a Bravo v2 with a Mullard 12au7 (nos). For the moment I don't want to buy an usb dac because I read a lot of articles and the DAC integrated in the macbook pro mid 2014 is very good (support 24 bit / 192khz) and I won't hear any differenze with a dac under 200$, maybe it could get worse.
Now I'm waiting the courier, I'll let you know. For the software I use audirvana plus, and files (wav or alac) at 16/44.

Jun 7, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #10 of 17
   So I'm now the proud owner of an SR325e. Don't have much to compare it to but it sounds a whole lot better than my SR80i ever did.

Would you care to elaborate?  I'm about to make this same upgrade.  Are you still using the Aune T1 with them?  Any thoughts would be awesome.

Oct 13, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #11 of 17
If you're still in the market I suggest the Meridian Explorer. I own both the Grado SR325e and Explorer, and I have to say they sound amazing together. Much more powerful in the low end and the separation is greatly improved as well as general detail. Highly recommended.

P.S. Buy the first version, not the brand new one, it's $150 bucks on Amazon, can't beat it.

Hey @Deebrewski, also have the Meridian Explorer, and I've been meaning to ask someone this question : what volume do you use to listen to your grados? I use around 60/100 with the sr80e which seems quite high for something that is an external amp. I was expecting to listen at roughly 30 to 40 and it has me concerned something is wrong with the amp section! Any input?

Oct 14, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #12 of 17
Well, I listen out of a MacBook Pro at 50% max. Maybe your grados require more power, but it doesn't seem like it from the specs. My sound magic hp150s require noticeably more power than my grados(2-3 more ticks on a Mac), even though they have the same impedance. By the way, there is no difference in volume between the first and second generations. Does this answer your question? Let me know if you any info.

Oct 14, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #13 of 17
- I love the ALO the Island (discontinued, available at a good discount) - sounds excellent with my SR325e 

I would heartily recommend it, using it with my 15" rMP.

Oct 15, 2015 at 3:51 AM Post #14 of 17
Thanks @Deebrewski, I think it could have been more of an issue that I was coming from closed cans to open, and that sense of sound pressure is mostly gone with open. I might have been turning up higher for that, as I thought that was normal. But the issue was that I was concerned that the ME was a little under powered, but I don't think that is something I need to worry about now, as I was in the mind that amps never needed to go much higher than the halfway or some other esoteric value. Listening to The Cat Empire on 56/100 on ME and it's exactly what you'd want :)

Nov 12, 2015 at 4:16 AM Post #15 of 17
I have tried my Grado SR325e with JDS Labs O2+ODAC Combo and Audioengine D3. Both sound good but I will keep O2+ODAC ahead because of it's more balanced tone and extra smoothness. Though D3 felt more warm to me than O2+ODAC. Anyway, can any guys comment on how Woo Audio WA3 will perform once paired with Grado SR325e? I know Grados love tubes and WA3 is a highly appreciated tube amp. But I want to know whether I will find any significant difference if I switch from O2+ODAC to WA3. I know the sound will be a bit more warm. But will that be worth of the upgrade cost? Any comment on WA6 is also much appreciated. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back