DAC/Amp for driving UM3X's?
Jul 2, 2009 at 11:56 AM Post #2 of 19
I only have 2 amps, and the iBasso D10 is the best for UM3Xs. Well balanced sound.
Nuforce Icon Mobile and UM3X synergy is not good. Too forward.

Jul 3, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
too forward with the icon you say? tbh i still find them rather dark. source is a 5g ipod what are you using?

even when i just use as a dac its still not what id call forward

Yes, too forward when it compared with D10. I am using my D10 and IM as USB/DAC all the time. The soundstage seem to be 'flat', where all the instruments and vocal are at the same row/plane. Ok, my definition of 'too forward', is, when I feel the mid-high (1kHz-5kHz) is more than others.

Thank you.

Jul 3, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #7 of 19
^^I can see that. My short stint with the Icon mobile left the same impression with me using it with other 'phones... the upper regions were too forward/pronounced. I found it on the bright side.. and slightly veiled the bass.

Jul 3, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #8 of 19
I've used both the Tomahawak and Mustang with my UM3X.

Tomahawk - very clear and transparent, extends deeper and clearer highs, slightly smaller soundstage than Mustang

Mustang - slightly warmer and fuller sounding, bigger soundstage than Mustang, lots of impact and bass slam

You can't go wrong with either amp...
biggrin.gif

Jul 3, 2009 at 7:02 AM Post #9 of 19
Have you tried the Govibe Magnum? More details and clarity are added and the adjustable bass allows you to tune the bass to ur personal preference. Cant say much about warmth as i do not really have any idea on what that means. Pairing up with different LOD would let you yield variable results.

And whats more, its much more cheaper than the RSA / Iqube products
wink.gif

Jul 5, 2009 at 8:23 AM Post #10 of 19
I'm not saying you can't amp a UM3X, just that this is one monitor that sounds so good unamped that it feels like a waste to amp it at all. I amped the Etymotic ER-4P and the Phonak Audeo PFE, both of which need a little help, and it greatly improved bass response. When I tried that with the UM3X (using my M Cubed), I didn't notice much, if any, difference. This is a monitor that sounds as good unamped as other monitors sound with all kinds of amping.

Jul 5, 2009 at 9:33 AM Post #11 of 19
I am using iBasso D10 primary as DAC/AMP, and it do sound great. Extended bass and treble, detailed and higher resolution, compared to DAPs and my laptop's soundcard
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 5, 2009 at 12:04 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by bakhtiar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, too forward when it compared with D10. I am using my D10 and IM as USB/DAC all the time. The soundstage seem to be 'flat', where all the instruments and vocal are at the same row/plane. Ok, my definition of 'too forward', is, when I feel the mid-high (1kHz-5kHz) is more than others.

Thank you.

yep you are right, the more time ive spent with it i agree. the icon does not go very well with the um3x. S and T's become too sharp and hard on the ears, treblie is quite nice as is the bass but the S's just kill. i agree about the soundstage too it makes the vocals seem perfectly in line with the instruments but that i liked actually in a strange way.

Jul 5, 2009 at 1:47 PM Post #14 of 19
I also do like the analytic sound. I think the best combo for you is PFE + D10
smily_headphones1.gif
, which is may fit your listening taste
smily_headphones1.gif
, or a vacuum tubes amp, which might be suitable for you too, IMO . Anyway, there are plenty of amps with different color/sound signature out there... Why not, find one which suit your ears.
smily_headphones1.gif
Good luck.

Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back