DAC/amp for driving passive monitors and headphones on a budget
Nov 10, 2012 at 11:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

prodo123

New Head-Fier
Hi, long time reader, first time poster!

I've been researching DACs for quite a while now and finally I'm in a position where I can afford a combo!

I've looked around and have come across the NuForce Icon-2. This was unique in that it could drive passive speakers (through a RJ45-to-banana adaptor, strangely enough) and switch to headphones when a pair of cans were plugged into the 3.5mm jack in the front, in addition to a separate analog RCA out which bypassed the amp entirely. I'm pretty sure the passive out ports don't bypass the amp, which would be fantastic because these monitors need them.

The problem is the price. They're $350. My budget is $150, $200 if I push it.

I want to be able to drive a pair of passives with a DAC/amp, and upon plugging headphones, have it automatically switch output to the 3.5mm jack. Are there any other DAC/amp combos which offer this functionality? My monitors are 8Ω and my headphones are 32Ω which isn't too bad.

Nov 11, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #2 of 5
Anyone?

Also, if it's economical, maybe a dedicated amp which has this functionality could work too, as long as I'm able to afford a separate DAC with it.

Nov 11, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #3 of 5
I think what you need is a receiver, the likes of Pioneer, Onkyo, Yamaha, etc. They have built in amp for speakers, and headphone out.

Nov 11, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #4 of 5
So is a receiver like a multi-output amp?
In which case I'd need a separate DAC to connect to a computer, if I'm not mistaken.

If they are, do you have any good recommendations for receivers with a relatively flat frequency response and minimal coloration?

Nov 11, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
So is a receiver like a multi-output amp?
In which case I'd need a separate DAC to connect to a computer, if I'm not mistaken.

If they are, do you have any good recommendations for receivers with a relatively flat frequency response and minimal coloration?

Yes.
For inputs, it depends on what you get. You can get amplifier only, which needs an audio input, or you can get a receiver that receives optical in or USB, so there's no need for a DAC.

Most receivers/amps have a flat response.

Another suggestion. For better advice, you should ask at avsforums. They'll be able to recommend a better range of options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back