DAC/Amp for Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 Ohm
Dec 10, 2014 at 4:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

TBomb06

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all. I finally decided on a set of DT770 Pro 80 Ohm for use at work. I wanted a closed, comfortable, circumaural phone that I could wear for long periods of time. I listen to all kinds of music through Spotify premium mostly, so not the greatest source. I am looking for a DAC/Amp combo for the DT770s that can drive them well, and preferably has a USB input since I will be using my work laptop as a source. I've basically narrowed it down to either a FiiO E10K or a JDS Labs O2+ODAC. I realize there is a pretty big disparity between those two, but that's what I'm here to decide...is the O2+ODAC worth the extra $200+, or is there something else for my money that would be a better option? I would prefer something that has inputs on the back, headphone plug and volume control (preferably a knob) on the front (FiiO E17 won't cut it due to the silly layout). Does not need to be portable, although I would prefer a somewhat small form factor. Max budget is $300.

Thanks in advance!

Dec 10, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #4 of 6
  Hi all. I finally decided on a set of DT770 Pro 80 Ohm for use at work. I wanted a closed, comfortable, circumaraul  phone that I could wear for long periods of time. I listen to all kinds of music through Spotify premium mostly, so not the greatest source. I am looking for a DAC/Amp combo for the DT770s that can drive them well, and preferably has a USB input since I will be using my work laptop as a source. I've basically narrowed it down to either a FiiO E10K or a JDS Labs O2+ODAC. I realize there is a pretty big disparity between those two, but that's what I'm here to decide...is the O2+ODAC worth the extra $200+, or is there something else for my money that would be a better option? I would prefer something that has inputs on the back, headphone plug and volume control (preferably a knob) on the front (FiiO E17 won't cut it due to the silly layout). Does not need to be portable, although I would prefer a somewhat small form factor. Max budget is $300.

Thanks in advance!

For the kind of overall budget for both the headphones and DAC/amp, you could do better then the DT770s
It's usually recommended to spend more on the headphones, then the DAC/amp.

Audio Technica ATH-W1000X (Black Cherry Wood cups),$437
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171462576956?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

FiiO E10K USB-DAC-Amp, $75.

Dec 10, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #5 of 6

For the kind of overall budget for both the headphones and DAC/amp, you could do better then the DT770s
It's usually recommended to spend more on the headphones, then the DAC/amp.

Audio Technica ATH-W1000X (Black Cherry Wood cups),$437
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171462576956?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

FiiO E10K USB-DAC-Amp, $75.

That is a good point...I have always been of the mind that a better quality amp/DAC could bring the most out of a set of headphones, rather than having a high end set of headphones with a sub-par amp or source that can't properly drive them. Do you think the technical capability of the E10K is close enough to the O2+ODAC that I would get just as much out of either the DT770s or the W1000Xs from the $75 amp/DAC as the $275 one? Honestly curious, as I haven't listened to either but I do have an E17 for portable use...I just don't like using it at my desk due to the input/output layout. I presume that it is comparable to the E10K, but I'm sure there are some differences.

Also, since you own both the W1000X and the DT770s (albeit the 250 ohm), can you give me a brief rundown of the differences/benefits of the AT's vs the Beyers?

Thanks!

Dec 10, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #6 of 6
  That is a good point...I have always been of the mind that a better quality amp/DAC could bring the most out of a set of headphones, rather than having a high end set of headphones with a sub-par amp or source that can't properly drive them. Do you think the technical capability of the E10K is close enough to the O2+ODAC that I would get just as much out of either the DT770s or the W1000Xs from the $75 amp/DAC as the $275 one? Honestly curious, as I haven't listened to either but I do have an E17 for portable use...I just don't like using it at my desk due to the input/output layout. I presume that it is comparable to the E10K, but I'm sure there are some differences.
Also, since you own both the W1000X and the DT770s (albeit the 250 ohm), can you give me a brief rundown of the differences/benefits of the AT's vs the Beyers?

I never use my DT770s (80 & 250) anymore, current plans are to sell them.
The DT770 were good for use with my Yamaha receiver, if I needed to use closed headphones to block the noise, otherwise I would use my open DT880/DT990, with the receiver.
Currently my best closed headphones for use with the Yamaha receiver is my 250-Ohm Beyer T70s

The DT770s have a strong bass and slightly recessed mid range.
For computer use, I would favor my ATH-A900Xs (better mids) over the DT770.
And my ATH-W1000Xs superseded the A900Xs.
So W1000X>A900X>DT770.

My $27 FiiO E6 amplifier can easily drive my 40-Ohm W1000Xs.
(the E6 on 100%  max volume can decently drive my 250-Ohm Beyers).

So even thou the O2 headphone amplifier offers more power then the E10K, the E10K can easily drive the 40-Ohm W1000Xs.
I would assume the ODAC's Sabre DAC chip is better then the E10Ks PCM5102 DAC chip.
(I'm sure the Sabre is better then the PCM5102, just not sure by how much in a practical way).

I would say to get the ATH-W1000X and just use the E17 with them.
The older E10 used the same WM8740 DAC chip as the E17, the newer E10K uses the PCM5102, which seems to be a better DAC chip.
You can always upgrade from the E17, in the future.
Gives you more time to research dac/amps.
(or go ahead and by the E10K).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back