DAC /AMP for ATH AD900X
Aug 7, 2017 at 11:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

lovewave

New Head-Fier
Hi, I looking for advise about some headphone amplifier for an audio-tecnica AD900X headphones.
its for using in my computer where I have a Xonar D2X soundcard.
I wonder if this DAC in the xonar is good enough or better I have to get better DAC.

Aug 7, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #2 of 10
Hi, I looking for advise about some headphone amplifier for an audio-tecnica AD900X headphones.
its for using in my computer where I have a Xonar D2X soundcard.
I wonder if this DAC in the xonar is good enough or better I have to get better DAC.
Those are very easy to drive, similar to the HD598 in a lot of ways. Honestly I wouldn't bother buying an amp or dac unless you're planning on getting higher end headphones. Your AD900X wouldn't sound much different with an amp and DAC.

Aug 7, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #4 of 10
thank you guys. i want to improve so maybe would be a good step ahead to get the xonar essence stx 2. I like these and dont mind to change for now but its clear the hifimans are a gem.
And still saying the sound is too low, maybe something wrong in the sound setup in pulseaudio, dont know.

Aug 7, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #5 of 10
Those are very easy to drive, similar to the HD598 in a lot of ways. Honestly I wouldn't bother buying an amp or dac unless you're planning on getting higher end headphones. Your AD900X wouldn't sound much different with an amp and DAC.
I don't know if I agree... I bought an ifi black label and I noticed a huge difference on my $120 Sennheiser PC37x when streaming lossless music. I have some ATH-900z coming in a week or two and I'll let you know what I think if you are interested... You might not "need" at Dac/Amp, but it sure made all the headphones/IEMs I own sound better, even the low impedance stuff.

Aug 7, 2017 at 11:41 PM Post #6 of 10
Yes His Lorship, I felt maybe a little bit confused with that answer as I thought a good DAC/Amp always is an improvement in sound quality. I was looking even for some good offer in the Oppo Ha2 but before it I wanted to try for geting some good advice in this forum in order to take the best decision. Anyway Ill be glad to get any information about this topic when you can give me so I will head for the best option. Many thanks.

Aug 9, 2017 at 12:05 AM Post #8 of 10
I felt maybe a little bit confused with that answer as I thought a good DAC/Amp always is an improvement in sound quality. I was looking even for some good offer in the Oppo Ha2 but before it I wanted to try for geting some good advice in this forum in order to take the best decision. Anyway Ill be glad to get any information about this topic when you can give me so I will head for the best option. Many thanks.
Having a better DAC/Amp will yield a minimal difference unless there is and underlying problem like distortion or if the headphone is underpowered, etc. However, for a rather sensitive headphone like the AD900X you won't find much of an improvement.

I'm not an expert and have limited experience with amps. I'm not sure how good the Xonar sound card you have is. I'd be glad to let you know what I think of the ATH-900z when it comes in.
As much as I hate to say this, I'm pretty sure while testing you didn't volume match properly which may have been perceived as a huge difference.

Aug 9, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #9 of 10
Having a better DAC/Amp will yield a minimal difference unless there is and underlying problem like distortion or if the headphone is underpowered, etc. However, for a rather sensitive headphone like the AD900X you won't find much of an improvement.

As much as I hate to say this, I'm pretty sure while testing you didn't volume match properly which may have been perceived as a huge difference.

You can say whatever you want to, but I do notice a big difference in sound between my PC, my laptop, and the ifi black label... I tested to the best of my ability playing the same songs, from the same headphones, with different DAC/amps. The difference is considerable. The most noticeable points are clarity and separation. I also notice background noise on my Grado GR10 from the laptop, with the ifi it's gone.

I blind tested (swapped out sources without telling them which is which, let them control the volume to a comfortable level) two other people with the same setup, same songs, different sources (PC vs ifi), and they both guess which was the Ifi... As a matter of fact when I first put Vivaldi one of them said "It sounds like I'm at the orchestra"... So I'm not offended if you don't believe me, but in my amatuer method of testing, 3 of 3 people could tell the difference, 2 of 3 people thought the sound was significant, and all 3 knew which was the Ifi - and there was no mention of background noise on any of the setups by anyone else but me (because I intentionally listened for it).

Aug 9, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #10 of 10
And FYI I'm not trying argue that spending $500 on a mid range DAC/Amp is the best place to spend money if you have low end headphones. I bought the ifi because I have some HD6xx ordered. I'm just saying there is a big difference... I was more than willing to return the thing where I bought it if it was gimmicky, but it was more of a "I never knew what I have been missing" moment for me - so I'm keeping it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back