Dac+Amp for AKG K712
Jan 14, 2015 at 11:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

ReaperX

New Head-Fier
Hello!

I have ordered the AKG K712 and I 'm looking for a dac and amp combo.

I will use them for music and gaming.They will be connected via usb or via optical.For now I have the onboard soundcard (ALC898) but maybe in the future I will get an external usb sc just for the virtual surround for gaming,so I would like to have also optical connection available.

I have done some searching and I want to tell me your opinions for

Audio DG NF-15

Matrix New Mini-i

Schiit Modi 2 Uber + Magni 2 Uber or Asgard 2

If you have something better in mind which has similar price to these please tell me..

Jan 14, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #2 of 17
For the price of the Asgard 2 and the Modi 2 combined, I would suggest the NFB-11. Changed from an ODAC/Asgard 2 to it, and very happy with it :)

Jan 16, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #3 of 17
For the price of the Asgard 2 and the Modi 2 combined, I would suggest the NFB-11. Changed from an ODAC/Asgard 2 to it, and very happy with it
smily_headphones1.gif

NFB-11 or NFB-15 would be better for the AKGs in your opinion?

I have read that the 15 has more warm sound so suits them better..

Jan 16, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #4 of 17
If your budget is tight, you may consider an all-in-one that will do DAC/amp and surround, like Creative Omni 5.1. It's a pretty nice device, although admittedly not at the same level as "proper" devices you listed.

Just a thought, given that K712 is not very hard to drive and has excellent soundstage that would benefit from surround quite a bit.

Jan 16, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #5 of 17
Xonar DGX + NFB-15/11 would be my vote.

Jan 16, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #6 of 17
  I have ordered the AKG K712 and I 'm looking for a dac and amp combo.
I will use them for music and gaming.They will be connected via USB or via optical.For now I have the on-board sound card (ALC898) but maybe in the future I will get an external usb sc just for the virtual surround for gaming,so I would like to have also optical connection available.
I have done some searching and I want to tell me your opinions for
Audio DG NF-15
Matrix New Mini-i
Schiit Modi 2 Uber + Magni 2 Uber or Asgard 2
If you have something better in mind which has similar price to these please tell me..

USB DAC will bypass the sound card features.
Optical DAC will work with the sound card features.
I like my Audio-GD NFB-15.32, so i would say to get the newer NFB-15.
The Schiit should be ok too.

Jan 16, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #7 of 17
Thanks for your answers.

Unfortunately my system in mini-itx so can't use internal soundcard.

So I was thinking for the omni 5.1 too,and use connection via optical to use the surround features..

Other option would be the Soudblaster X7 standalone,but can't find many information about it.

Jan 16, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #8 of 17
Thanks for your answers.

Unfortunately my system in mini-itx so can't use internal soundcard.

So I was thinking for the omni 5.1 too,and use connection via optical to use the surround features..

Other option would be the Soudblaster X7 standalone,but can't find many information about it.

The Omni has a line out. You could go with the Magni 2 and then decide later if you want to add a DAC.

Jan 16, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #9 of 17
In your opinion would the sound be ok?

Because if the omni's dac is not so good,I could buy from the beginning the audio dg which is both dac and amp,perfrorms better than the schiit as you said and save some money from future changes.

Jan 16, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #10 of 17
What games do you play? Most popular fps games have great headphone sound anyways, cs:go has DTS, BF4 has something great built in too... I use USB 99% of the time now. The 1% is when I'm messing around with the card, or when the back ports on my mobo don't work randomly, lol.

Jan 16, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #11 of 17
I think since you want surround, and you don't seem to know specifically what you are looking for in an amp, Creative Omni should be a great all-in-one starting point.

It does have a DAC and amp, and they are decent. If you develop concerns with how your music sounds, you can always step up from there.

Jan 16, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #13 of 17
  I think since you want surround, and you don't seem to know specifically what you are looking for in an amp, Creative Omni should be a great all-in-one starting point.

It does have a DAC and amp, and they are decent. If you develop concerns with how your music sounds, you can always step up from there.

Yes,unfortunately I don't know because I am completely new at this level and don't have much money to spare in order to test different devices.

Problem is I care the same about gaming and music quality (mainly rock,metal,70s,80s) so I am trying to find the best option for both.

Jan 16, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #14 of 17

oh come on... omni is low end all around external sound card for low end headphones/ cheapo speakers.

Anyone here with the Matrix New Mini-i (non PRO) or latest version of Audio DG NF-15 ?

Audio DG NF-15 (older versions) seems very popular here, maybe a good choise, but the New mini-i has decent hardware also.

Jan 16, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #15 of 17
  oh come on... omni is low end all around external sound card for low end headphones/ cheapo speakers.

Anyone here with the Matrix New Mini-i (non PRO) or latest version of Audio DG NF-15 ?

Audio DG NF-15 (older versions) seems very popular here, maybe a good choise, but the New mini-i has decent hardware also.

Dude. He's upgrading from onboard sound and "is completely new". What is the point of throwing away several hundred bucks on expensive gear if he won't even appreciate it?

Yes,unfortunately I don't know because I am completely new at this level and don't have much money to spare in order to test different devices.

Well that's exactly why I am recommending starting with an inexpensive option. Omni 5.1 is $60 on Amazon. Hell, you can return it if you find that it does not meet your expectation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back