DAC/AMP for AKG 7XX??
Mar 14, 2018 at 5:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Thenewbie76

100+ Head-Fier
Ok so I have a AK 7XX that I like but i am currently using a shiit fulla 2 to power it. Right now I got a budget of 350USD and wanna buy a new DAC/AMP. Ok now i know a DAC is not needed its just digital to analogue converter but my laptop soundcard sucks and I think a DAC would make the sound better anyway. Also i need an AMP to power up this AKG 7XX and in the future im gonna get maybe a filips fidellio x2 or a hifiman he400i so i gotta make sure this AMP can power them up too Any suggestion??

Mar 14, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #2 of 15
Your standard Stack of Schiit will do you good for pretty much any headphone. With that budget I'd recommend a Modi Multibit + Magni 3. If you want to take it up another notch then I highly recommend the NFB-11/R2R-11.

Mar 14, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #3 of 15
Your standard Stack of Schiit will do you good for pretty much any headphone. With that budget I'd recommend a Modi Multibit + Magni 3. If you want to take it up another notch then I highly recommend the NFB-11/R2R-11.
thx for the info bro. BTW what is the difference between the modi multibit and the modi 2 and uber?? . Also I said i needed an amp powerful enough to power up a akg 7xx and future headphones i might buy like the filips fidellio x2. I just changed my mind an am thinking of buying an AKG 7XX. So would a Magni 3 and mod multibit do the job??

Mar 14, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #4 of 15
thx for the info bro. BTW what is the difference between the modi multibit and the modi 2 and uber?? . Also I said i needed an amp powerful enough to power up a akg 7xx and future headphones i might buy like the filips fidellio x2. I just changed my mind an am thinking of buying an AKG 7XX. So would a Magni 3 and mod multibit do the job??
Modi 2 is USB only, Modi 2 Uber is USB and Optical, Modi Multibit is USB and optical and the best DAC in the Modi family. X2 doesn't need an amp, it's extremely easy to drive. A Magni 3 is more than powerful enough for a K7XX and any future headphones you might buy.

Mar 14, 2018 at 7:01 PM Post #5 of 15
Modi 2 is USB only, Modi 2 Uber is USB and Optical, Modi Multibit is USB and optical and the best DAC in the Modi family. X2 doesn't need an amp, it's extremely easy to drive. A Magni 3 is more than powerful enough for a K7XX and any future headphones you might buy.
oh crap thx man. I think i would end up going for the shiit dac/amp. I would go for the NFB-11 or RSR-11 but my parents are super cautious judging from the website lol

Mar 14, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #6 of 15
I am very happy with Nuforce HA200 with the K7XX. You can find a used or refurbished one for 200-250 USD. Its also very flexible - works well with Senn, Grado, Beyer. I found the AKGs to be very finicky about amps, so good luck with your search!

Mar 14, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #7 of 15
oh **** thx man. I think i would end up going for the shiit dac/amp. I would go for the NFB-11 or RSR-11 but my parents are super cautious judging from the website lol
The audio-gd website is absolutely trustworthy and you have nothing to worry about, it's totally legit. I know it looks dodgy but that's just the style of it.

Mar 14, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #9 of 15
The audio-gd website is absolutely trustworthy and you have nothing to worry about, it's totally legit. I know it looks dodgy but that's just the style of it.
Yeh i new because alot of people buy from it . Especially Z reviews the youtube guy that reviews audiophile stuff and got me into this .I just saw his video on why video game headphone suck or something and me being a gamer watch it. I would buy from the website hopefully soon when i get my own bank card. I just turned 18 last month and am eligible to open bank account

Mar 14, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #10 of 15
Yeh i new because alot of people buy from it . Especially Z reviews the youtube guy that reviews audiophile stuff and got me into this .I just saw his video on why video game headphone suck or something and me being a gamer watch it. I would buy from the website hopefully soon when i get my own bank card. I just turned 18 last month and am eligible to open bank account
That's good. If you get the NFB-11/R2R-11, chances are you'll never need another DAC/Amp at all. They are extremely highly rated here on Head-Fi and other places too.

Mar 14, 2018 at 8:34 PM Post #11 of 15
You might want to look at other people than Z reviews. Stick around here and watch other reviewers as well and take what he says with a huge grain of salt.

The schiit stack would serve you well.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #13 of 15
Ok so I have a AK 7XX that I like but i am currently using a shiit fulla 2 to power it. Right now I got a budget of 350USD and wanna buy a new DAC/AMP. Ok now i know a DAC is not needed its just digital to analogue converter but my laptop soundcard sucks and I think a DAC would make the sound better anyway. Also i need an AMP to power up this AKG 7XX

You can use the 2volt line out of the Fulla2 to feed an amp and spend the whole $350 or a little bit more on an amp. Maybe the Lyr2. There's also an active drop right now for the Massdrop THX Linear amp.
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-thx-aaa-789-linear-amplifier

and in the future im gonna get maybe a filips fidellio x2 or a hifiman he400i so i gotta make sure this AMP can power them up too Any suggestion??

X2 has 98dB/1mW sensitivity, 5mW higher than the K7XX and HE400i. Has lower impedance though but basically anything that will drive the AAKG and HiFiMan without distortion and far from noise threshold will work on the X2.

Also anything that works on the K7XX or HE400i properly will work for the other well, if anything the only difference with amp requirements between the two is that the HE400i is less sensitive to output impedance.

Apr 19, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #15 of 15
Ok so I have a AK 7XX that I like but i am currently using a shiit fulla 2 to power it. Right now I got a budget of 350USD and wanna buy a new DAC/AMP. Ok now i know a DAC is not needed its just digital to analogue converter but my laptop soundcard sucks and I think a DAC would make the sound better anyway. Also i need an AMP to power up this AKG 7XX and in the future im gonna get maybe a filips fidellio x2 or a hifiman he400i so i gotta make sure this AMP can power them up too Any suggestion??

Audio-GD NFB-11.28 DAC/amp, it's a little over your budget.
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFN1128/NFB1128EN.htm

Or, get a Darkvoice 336SE OTL tube headphone amplifier ($214-$250).
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/dark-voice-366se
Use the tube amplifier for the K7XX and higher impedance headphones, plug lower impedance headphones (Fidelio X2) into the Fulla 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back