DAC/Amp for $600
Mar 19, 2011 at 11:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Nachkebia

500+ Head-Fier
I am searching for Dac/amp for $600, will be using it with pro 900, hd650 and grado 325`s. Please give me suggestions. Thanks!

Mar 20, 2011 at 3:21 AM Post #3 of 8
Yulong D100.

only if you first do a search for Yulong D100 and problems and are happy to proceed knowing the possible problems :D http://www.head-fi.org/search.php?search=yulong+d100+problems ? Also, I'll have my replacement D100 FS when it's here :D . In fact there's a FS thread for it already.

But yes, it's pretty difficult to find a decent balanced out/se out dac at the same price as D100, despite anything anyone says about the quality. (especially considering it has a class A amp good enough for most HP <300ohm)

Mar 20, 2011 at 4:06 AM Post #4 of 8
A capable DAC with good connections and at least 24/96 combined with something like a Little Dot Mk V, Matrix M-Stage etcetera can work too...

Mar 21, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #5 of 8
The Yulong D100 is pretty much a fancier looking ZERO and the Matrix M-Stage and the likes use op-amps and will sound identical. You can play it cheap with an op-amp based ZERO for around $100 however if you're looking for a big step up a used PS Audio DLIII can be found under $600 used.

Mar 21, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
The Yulong D100 is pretty much a fancier looking ZERO and the Matrix M-Stage and the likes use op-amps and will sound identical. You can play it cheap with an op-amp based ZERO for around $100 however if you're looking for a big step up a used PS Audio DLIII can be found under $600 used.

The PSA DLIII was actually tested againt the Zero in a head to head set of tests, the differences were pretty small and the measurements tell an interesting story... though both were modded so not sure how the stock items would compare...

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/450804/psa-dl-iii-dac-vs-tianyun-zero-dac-shoot-out

Mar 21, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #7 of 8
˄ I suppose I could say it's unfortunate the DLIII was used in such a test as results would be few are far between with any priced DAC as the method of recording output and listening to the result was flawed.

I still own my Zero which is upgraded from stock, my DLIII is stock however. I've heard a number of op-amp based DACs which most recently include the Zero, Emu 0404 and the DacMagic; all of which, like any op-amp based DAC sound identical when matched. The pricier DACs such as the recent Audio-GD products offer more of a colored texture, such is DAC-A is suggested for bright headphones while DAC-B suggested for warmer headphones. What I like about the DLIII and my reason for ownership is that is doesn't sound bright or warm, it doesn't sound like anything, it's tone (or lack thereof) disappears from my listening chain altogether. With this in mind an audible sound signature would be near impossible to differentiate, this is also why many people like colored DACs, furthermore this is why a lot of newcomers or casual listeners don't appreciate a good source.

When I first heard the DLIII it was like my music had been cleaned, thuds and vibrations were turned into kick drums and bass guitars. It's hard to explain this movement forward in audio reproduction as everything 'sounds just fine' before an upgrade, I can only say I won't be going back. Another difference I appreciate comes down to hearing everything better; the music is seemingly wider and instruments spacial, no doubt this is because of my tubes and/or my headphones, but it goes to show that music starts at the source.

Mar 21, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #8 of 8
Erm, I have ultrasone pro 900 headphones, I'm contemplating as wether i should buy the yulong 100D as a dac/amp or invest in the PS audio DLIII, the DLIII is only a DAC right? so I would need to invest in a seperated Amp aswell?
I'm so confused, don't know what to choose

Users who are viewing this thread

Back