DAC + AMP for 30 bucks?!?
Dec 25, 2010 at 12:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

heymian

New Head-Fier
This sounds too good to be true:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132020&Tpk=asus%20xonar%20dg

It's a soundcard with a built-in headphone amp.  And it's only $30.00 USD.  It also has a $10 mail-in rebate so that would make the final price $20.

I've read every review I can find on this card, it seems legit and the real deal.  None of the reviews go into detail about the headphone amp though.

I did read one review where they did blind listening tests with some Sennheiser HD555's.  Most of the people actually prefered the sound of this particular soundcard to more expensive models, including Asus' flagship Xonar Essence STX.

I just got a new computer and I'm using onboard right now so I'm barely holding myself back from ordering this.

Does anybody actually own this card or have owned this card and can give some input?  Anyone else have some thoughts?

Dec 25, 2010 at 6:08 AM Post #2 of 3
The Xonar series of sound cards are well known to be good quality products made by ASUS.  I have a Xonar D1, love it, and probably won't upgrade for another 10 years.  DG is most likely a stripped down DX/D1.

Google "Xonar DG review" (without quotes).  It brings up some good reviews and what to expect from the sound card.

Dec 25, 2010 at 8:56 AM Post #3 of 3
Yeah, that's what I'm saying.  I've read a several reviews and everything checks out good.  The only bad thing I've seen mentioned are that the drivers are a little glitchy.

I'm most curious about this headphone amp.  It's a Texas Instruments' DRV601RTJR and has three gain settings, > 32 ohm, 32 - 64 ohm, 64 > ohm.  They're rated to driver headphones up to 150 ohms resistance.  That's about all the info I can find about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back