DAC + AMP for $200 to $300
Apr 22, 2007 at 11:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

svines

New Head-Fier
Im looking for an DAC and Amp and I have about $200 (I could add 100 more if its worth it). I dont care if its in one unit (like total airhead) or separate DAC and amp. What can you recommend me?

Apr 23, 2007 at 4:46 AM Post #5 of 13
I'll be using it directly from my computer (with only the on-board sound card), so I assume I'll have to use the USB to connect the computer to the DAC. I checked out the zhaolu and dont have a USB input, so I should be lookin fot something else. I'm right or not?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccontreras /img/forum/go_quote.gif
zhaolu D2.0 or 2.5?
http://www.ifiaudio.com/home.html
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=178327

Apr 23, 2007 at 1:00 PM Post #7 of 13
what headphones? the emu is a great deal if the headphones aren't too hard to drive.

Apr 23, 2007 at 1:20 PM Post #8 of 13
MS1.

Im thinking of getting the bithead to also use it with my portable, iriver clix + vibes. Would it really make a difference? the bithead is bigger than the tiny clix, that wuold rest "portability" to my rig.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what headphones? the emu is a great deal if the headphones aren't too hard to drive.

Apr 23, 2007 at 11:17 PM Post #9 of 13
what about chaintech av 710, bit perfect through asio4all to beresford dac to pimeta/original master/ld2++/or something similar ? would cost less than 300, be less transportable than emu but would sound better.

Apr 23, 2007 at 11:40 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioNoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what about chaintech av 710, bit perfect through asio4all to beresford dac to pimeta/original master/ld2++/or something similar ? would cost less than 300, be less transportable than emu but would sound better.

That's a very strong statement. I hope you at least have compared the 2 setups personally. I have used AV710 for quite a while--it has an obsolete DAC which gives warm and "smooth" sound at the cost of minute details. Paired with a low-end amp like ld2++... yeah.

svines, MS1 should pose absolutely no problem for 0404's built-in amp, if my audio-technicas are any indication.

Apr 24, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #11 of 13
hmm... how about a micro DAC with a Little Dot 2

those two added together seems like fitting your price range and needs

Apr 24, 2007 at 4:25 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dr. Meier's Porta Corda III-USB.

x2...I admit I've never owned this...but I have been researching amps dacs and amp/dac combos for the last week or so and this seems to be frequently recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back