DAC/Amp for ~$1000?
Jul 25, 2008 at 3:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

katalyst^

New Head-Fier
After a few years away from Head-fi, all of a sudden I have a nasty itch that only an upgrade can solve!

I currently have HD650s and ER4S with an E-mu 0404/Total Airhead. I am looking for a DAC/amp (preferably in one unit) to use with my laptop S/PDIF. After a bit of reading, the DAC/amp combos that are in my budget range seem to be DAC1, Opera, Grace M902, Headroom Home Desktop/Desktop Portable, Presonus CS, and upgraded Zero with a LD MK V.

The M902 is a bit expensive, while I haven't been able to find a company that will ship DAC1s internationally, and I refuse to pay absurd local prices for a DAC1 - $2000 AUD - when the exchange rate is close to parity.

Could anyone offer any advice?
tongue.gif

Jul 25, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #3 of 4
Ooch I forgot about that one
smily_headphones1.gif

Is there a clear winner out of these? I know that the DAC1 used to be very highly regarded, but read a review or two which preferred the DA10, and people here seem to think the Presonus comparable.

Jul 25, 2008 at 4:24 AM Post #4 of 4
I took a long time, a couple weeks, of research and talking to people to decide on buying my modded DAC1. I have never heard the DA10, so I cannot make a recommendation one way or another. I haven't heard the Presonus either. I do love my DAC1 though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back