DAC/Amp Combo
Nov 24, 2019 at 11:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

jordannn15

500+ Head-Fier
I am looking for a good headphone DAC/amp combo around $300 or less. Will spend more if I need to, to get the features I want.

I need it to have:
1. 1/4” headphone output
2. An optical input
3. A usb or line in
4. An output power of at least 1 watt @ 32ohms/500mW @ 150 ohms

I would greatly appreciate your recommendations!

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2019 at 2:44 AM Post #2 of 28
I was looking at the Topping DX7 Pro and Topping DX3 Pro. The DX7 is a little more than I want to spend but seems like it has everything. The DX3 Pro seems great and close to what I want for a lot cheaper. Any others I should look at?

Nov 25, 2019 at 5:44 AM Post #3 of 28
check out the ifi xCAN, it meets your BT and aptX requirements, and the 1W@32ohm (balanced) requirement, and it is only an AMP so you need to couple it with a dac. I dont think it comes with a remote. If it is for portable use, it should be in your pocket so no need for a remote :stuck_out_tongue:

Nov 25, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #4 of 28
check out the ifi xCAN, it meets your BT and aptX requirements, and the 1W@32ohm (balanced) requirement, and it is only an AMP so you need to couple it with a dac. I dont think it comes with a remote. If it is for portable use, it should be in your pocket so no need for a remote :stuck_out_tongue:

Good suggestion. This will be for at home listening and gaming though so a portable is not exactly what I am looking for. Plus, like you said, that is only an amp. I am trying to only have one piece of equipment to deal with.

Nov 25, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #5 of 28
I think the sister product, the ifi xDSD could be 2 in 1, not 100% sure though.

If you think about it, the ifi xCan also acts as a DAC when in BT mode. If you read its specs u see it has a BT enabled DAC chip to receive BT signal and convert it to analogue.

Nov 26, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #10 of 28
The Audio-gd R2R-11 or NFB-11 used can usually be bought for less than $300 on eBay. That's my choice for an entry-level combo.

Nov 26, 2019 at 8:25 PM Post #14 of 28
Thanks, I will see if I can find them on ebay. Have you heard both? Any specific reason you picked the R2R-11 over the NFB-11?

My personal tastes lean, in general, to resistor-ladder over delta-sigma when it comes to DAC technology. But I'll be the first to admit they're not for everyone. The NFB-11 gets fairly high marks from what I've read. Of course, there's more competition with chip DAC/amp combos out there, so it's maybe less unique than the R2R-11 in that price range.

Nov 26, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #15 of 28
Hopefully I can find a used one in good condition somewhere else so I don’t have to pay $300+ before shipping and so I don’t have to wait so long since it would be coming from China.
My Master9 amp was to me in about a week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back