DAC / Amp Combo
Dec 5, 2016 at 6:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

jchabalk

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for an updated setup and some functionality changes.

For the last 10 years or so i've been using a Motu Ultralite mk3 (firewire version) running in to a pair of active monitors via a Mackie mixing board.

I want to pare my setup down, remove the mixer, and get a better headphone amp in to the mix. 

I haven't made any decisions yet and am looking for some feedback or recommendations

Source Material (Inputs):
  1. iMac Computer (majority of my listening comes from the computer)
  2. Phono PreAmp (vinyl, ~10% of the time)
  3. 1/8" line in (from my phone or something else ~5% of the time)

Outputs:
  1. Grado GS1k
  2. JBL Powered Monitors (currently connected through the Mackie mixer)

I use the mic inputs on the Motu very infrequently. I'm also looking at audio interfaces that have mic preamps, i welcome recommendations for them too - my priority is listening.

The devices i'm considering and want to listen to are:
  1. Benchmark DAC3 HGC
    1. This seems to be the most complete unit to meet my needs especially given the integrated pre-amp
    2. It just came out, which is good and bad i guess. I don't see nearly as much forum talk about Benchmark as I do about Schiit.
    3. Sounds like a great integrated unit - at least the DAC1 and 2 were based on reviews. Initial impressions of the DAC3 make it sound like another win from Benchmark.
  2. Schiit (Ordered by price)
    1. Mjolnir 2 + Gungnir
      1. ~Same price point as the Benchmark
      2. I'd need a pre-amp in addition
      3. This sounds like a pretty killer setup from the reading i've been doing
    2. Jotunheim
      1. I'll need to add a preamp
      2. how does the Jotunheim compare with the Benchmark
    3. Bifrost + Lyr2
    4. Magni 2 + Modi

The Benchmark / Mjolnir+Gungnir is probably the top of my budget. I'm generally ok with that range but don't want to exceed it. Is there anything else I should be seriously considering? 

Dec 5, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #2 of 3
Have you looked into the DM Source or it's bigger brother the Convert-2?

I have the DM Source hooked up to a pair of KH120As and HD 600s. There was some blind testing done between the Source and Benchmark DAC2 in 2013 here at head-fi; they sounded identical. The independent volume pots (not stepped) for the speakers and headphones are a nice touch too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back