DAC/Amp combo
Nov 12, 2010 at 12:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

blackzarg

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I'm in the market for an amp that has a built in DAC built in (unless I can be convinced that this isn't a good idea).

Basically, I want an amp/dac that can also be hooked up to a speaker amp without me constantly switching cable inputs all the time when going from headphones to speakers. The Aune Amp seems to be able to do that.

My current setup is a uDAC hooked to an AV123 X-head. Would there be a downgrade going to the Aune?

I also have a Zero amp in another rig, but can't use it with this one.

Are there better options? Where can I buy OP amps, btw?

Thanks!

Nov 13, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #2 of 5
What you require is just an amplifier that take care of your speaker as well as your headphone setup. Source -> uDac -> amplifier -> speaker Take the tape out connection into your AV`123 x-head to your headphones. When you're listening to your speakers, you will still be able to listen to your headphones.

Nov 13, 2010 at 3:01 PM Post #3 of 5
Sorry, I didn't mean that I wanted to use the speakers and headphones at the same time. Right now, I can either have my uDAC hooked to the X-head OR the Speaker Amp. If I want to use one or the other, I have to disconnect the RCA cables from one and hook it to another.

I want a DAC that can output to more than one source, but not simultaneously. The Aune seems to be a decent amp (for the K702), have a decent DAC (about the same as the uDAC?), and I can hook it up to speakers.

Nov 15, 2010 at 7:14 AM Post #4 of 5
I also didn 't mean that but if you didn 't want to swap cables but at the same time being able to use either speaker or the headphones, the suggestion given IMHO most suitable. Otherwise you may just simply get a switch box with 2 outputs (in the condition whereby if you're having powered speakers) Like for an example, I'm using the CD player through my DAC into the MF X-10D into my amplifier to speakers, tape out 1 into my MF X-Cans, tape out 2 into Liitle Dot mk2) In this connection, whenever I want to listen with any one of the headphone amps just don 't have to swap cables. Right now I'm confused with your scenario. If you may wanna explain further.

Nov 16, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #5 of 5
Ah, you know, that's what I need. A preamp, something like a Zhalou 2.5 that would let me output to multiple sources (speaker amp and headphone amp). Any recommendations? Even something that's cheap?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back