DAC/amp combo with Microsoft cellphone?
Nov 22, 2016 at 3:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

sennheiserhd485

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I am planning to buy the Sennheiser HD600 and use it with a DAC/amp combo in a portable context. The source is going to have to be a Microsoft smartphone, as I need the Groove Music online app in order to have monthly subscription music downloads. My issue is that I have no idea how to connect a DAC/amp combo to a cellphone, and I have no idea if that is even compatible. I'm also worried about the amp not being strong enough, resulting in my HD600s sounding "slow" or "veiled." Is this going to work at all?

Nov 22, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #2 of 20
I'm not on the up-to-the-minute bleeding-edge of where Microsoft smartphones are, at this specific point in time, but I haven't yet heard of them supporting USB digital audio output, so please be careful before splashing cash.

Nov 22, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #3 of 20
  I'm not on the up-to-the-minute bleeding-edge of where Microsoft smartphones are, at this specific point in time, but I haven't yet heard of them supporting USB digital audio output, so please be careful before splashing cash.

Thank you so much for commenting. I am also open to getting an Android phone though. How can I get I figure out which Android phones are compatible with DACs? Also, is there a ranking somewhere of DAC/amp combos that will work with phones?

Nov 22, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #4 of 20
Oppo HA-2 and Chord Mojo are a couple of DAC-amp options worth considering - Android is a good way to go, phone-wise, if you're looking to partner a phone with a DAC-amp.

To be fair, iPhones generally have good compatibility with DAC-amps, too, but Android is an absolutely fine choice for the purpose.

There's a fair bit of Android connectivity information provided in post #3 of the above Mojo thread, most of which will be equally applicable to the Oppo HA-2 or other similar DAC-amps you might purchase, so please take a look there and don't feel that the connectivity info is limited to Chord's product (scroll-down until you see the red star, alongside 'Cables and HOW TO CONNECT')

Nov 22, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #5 of 20
  Oppo HA-2 and Chord Mojo are a couple of DAC-amp options worth considering - Android is a good way to go, phone-wise, if you're looking to partner a phone with a DAC-amp.

To be fair, iPhones generally have good compatibility with DAC-amps, too, but Android is an absolutely fine choice for the purpose.

There's a fair bit of Android connectivity information provided in post #3 of the above Mojo thread, most of which will be equally applicable to the Oppo HA-2 or other similar DAC-amps you might purchase, so please take a look there and don't feel that the connectivity info is limited to Chord's product (scroll-down until you see the red star, alongside 'Cables and HOW TO CONNECT')

This is super, super helpful. Thank you so much!!!

Nov 22, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #7 of 20
Bear in mind that different people hear gear differently - it's highly subjective.

For example, there was someone, today, in the Mojo thread, saying they feel Mojo does not synergise well with the HD600, but then there are others who love the combo.

Therefore, I recommend you ask a few questions in the Oppo and Mojo threads (and, indeed, any other competing DAC-amp threads), before buying anything, and see what headphone-DAC-amp combinations people say they really enjoy.

Nov 22, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #8 of 20
  Bear in mind that different people hear gear differently - it's highly subjective.

For example, there was someone, today, in the Mojo thread, saying they feel Mojo does not synergise well with the HD600, but then there are others who love the combo.

Therefore, I recommend you ask a few questions in the Oppo and Mojo threads (and, indeed, any other competing DAC-amp threads), before buying anything, and see what headphone-DAC-amp combinations people say they really enjoy.

That is an excellent idea. I will surely do that. Do you believe that the Oppo and Mojo are the two top ranked, most respected, or are there any others I should consider?

Nov 22, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #9 of 20
There are others, but because I look after the Mojo thread (I'm not employed by Chord, I just run it for head-fiers' benefit), I don't tend to divert my attention to every new DAC-amp - I only have just so much time! LOL

But do feel free to ask others, in those threads, what competing DAC-amps there are. They won't mind you asking, and if they do, just tell them I told you to ask!
wink_face.gif

Nov 22, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #11 of 20
  There are others, but because I look after the Mojo thread (I'm not employed by Chord, I just run it for head-fiers' benefit), I don't tend to divert my attention to every new DAC-amp - I only have just so much time! LOL

But do feel free to ask others, in those threads, what competing DAC-amps there are. They won't mind you asking, and if they do, just tell them I told you to ask!
wink_face.gif

You have literally been so helpful. I have a lot to think about and research now. 

This is random, but I see your signature, and it makes me wonder about your philosophical and religious beliefs. I'm guessing nothing really matters only if we weren't made by a personal deity?

Nov 22, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #12 of 20
I'm guessing nothing really matters only if we weren't made by a personal deity?

My remark that 'nothing really matters' isn't really intended spiritually. The remark is primarily aimed at the human race's pervasive psychological tendency to get absolutely attached-to, and enthralled by, trivial activities of the mind, to the degree that all those trivialities seem, to the person perceiving them, to be inherently important, when they are little more than subjective points of focus bestowed with meaning and assumed importance, by the perceiver. It's absurd, yet we all do it, to varying degrees. Humanbeings are absurdly hilarious, from a psychological standpoint
regular_smile .gif

Anyway, I wish you all the best with your DAC-amp and headphone hunt 
beerchug.gif

Nov 22, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #13 of 20

My remark that 'nothing really matters' isn't really intended spiritually. The remark is primarily aimed at the human race's pervasive psychological tendency to get absolutely attached-to, and enthralled by, trivial activities of the mind, to the degree that all those trivialities seem, to the person perceiving them, to be inherently important, when they are little more than subjective points of focus bestowed with meaning and assumed importance, by the perceiver. It's absurd, yet we all do it, to varying degrees. Humanbeings are absurdly hilarious, from a psychological standpoint
regular_smile%20.gif

Anyway, I wish you all the best with your DAC-amp and headphone hunt 
beerchug.gif

Woah... I love your intelligence, grammar, punctuation, and how learned you seem. Very, very cool. Trivial activities of the mind... I can't imagine what that might be. But thank you for explaining the signature! And thank you for the best wishes!

Nov 22, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #14 of 20
I'm just as stupid as the next person
beerchug.gif

Joking aside, please let me know, in this thread, when you've eventually chosen your gear. I hope you enjoy it

Nov 22, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #15 of 20
  I'm just as stupid as the next person
beerchug.gif

Joking aside, please let me know, in this thread, when you've eventually chosen your gear. I hope you enjoy it

LOL! If I can remember, I will surely update you. As of now, I have to decide between iPhone and Android. It seems that Android is definitely the cheaper route, but I am going to need a third-party app in order to use with TIDAL, which isn't ideal since I'm not so educated on the technicalities of such an app. iPhone is much simpler since a third-party app is not needed, but I can't pay $600 for an unlocked iPhone. So... Now I need to find out the minimum iOS version that will work with Apple Music. If that version is available on iPhone 5, I can afford it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back