DAC/Amp combo that accepts mic input
Aug 25, 2014 at 2:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Hxadecimal

New Head-Fier
Hey,

I made a previous post somewhat related to this, but I was never clear about this. Are there DAC/Amp combos out there that accept mic input so they can be used for headsets?

Some DAC/Amps I was looking at that I'm not clear whether they accept mic inputs:

Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1

O2+ODAC COMBO

FiiO E17

Do these accept mic inputs? Without being able to accept mic inputs I have no way of connecting the mic for my headset to my computer.

Aug 25, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #3 of 9
Why can't you just plug the mic in on your computer?
confused.gif

When I use USB DACs the mic doesn't work (I am not sure if he's tried this too, or if this is an isolated problem on my computer, nor if this is an issue with drivers or the hardware); but if I use my Xonar U3 USB soundcard and send an SPDIF signal into a DAC, the mic input on it works (front panel likewise disabled). Either way I don't really use anything other than the U3, just tested it for the heck of it.

Aug 25, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #4 of 9
When I use USB DACs the mic doesn't work (I am not sure if he's tried this too, or if this is an isolated problem on my computer, nor if this is an issue with drivers or the hardware); but if I use my Xonar U3 USB soundcard and send an SPDIF signal into a DAC, the mic input on it works (front panel likewise disabled). Either way I don't really use anything other than the U3, just tested it for the heck of it.

I should try it on my computer (I just don't have a mic handy). Seems that Windows could still set the recording device input to the internal sound card. But maybe not.

Aug 25, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #5 of 9
Why can't you just plug the mic in on your computer?
confused.gif

Because of the way the cable is structured on the headset. A headset's cable is one cable and then branches out into 2 small cables that are only a couple inches in length. Meaning that, one cable is your headphones which you connect to the DAC/Amp combo. However, the other cable, which is your mic, can no longer reach to your computer since it's connected to the headphone cable.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/siteimages/articles/asus_xonar_xense/047_thumb.jpg

If you look at that image you can see what I mean. My question is, do DAC/Amp combos accept mic input? Since you can plug in the headphone portion of your headset, but now your mic cable can't reach to your computer's mic jack.

Aug 25, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #6 of 9
Because of the way the cable is structured on the headset. A headset's cable is one cable and then branches out into 2 small cables that are only a couple inches in length. Meaning that, one cable is your headphones which you connect to the DAC/Amp combo. However, the other cable, which is your mic, can no longer reach to your computer since it's connected to the headphone cable.

They make cable extensions that solve that problem. Not too expensive, either.

Aug 25, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #7 of 9

http://www.overclockersclub.com/siteimages/articles/asus_xonar_xense/047_thumb.jpg

If you look at that image you can see what I mean. My question is, do DAC/Amp combos accept mic input? Since you can plug in the headphone portion of your headset, but now your mic cable can't reach to your computer's mic jack.

Why not use a USB soundcard that has both the headphone output and mic input right next to each other? I have mine on a USB extension cable (male USB-A to female USB-A) from the rear USB port on my desktop rig going near my keyboard. Or, well, the front HD audio jacks?

I mean, it's not like the headsets would need an amp like hi-fi headphones whose engineers didn't give as much care as to having just anything driving them loud enough (I thought initially that you wanted to use a hi-fi headphone with a ModMic or some other mic).

Jan 18, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #8 of 9
Bump - also interested. Using a softphone at my new job and would love to consolidate headsets.

I did find this guy: http://www.adl-av.com/products/headphone_amplifiers/x1/

Headphone jack is TRRS with Apple mic and remote support. Pretty much ideal for me put a little spendy.

Any others out there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back