DAC/Amp combo around $1000
Mar 6, 2009 at 10:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

katalyst^

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I almost committed to buying a DAC/Amp combo, for around $1000 US, last year, but changed my mind at the last moment. At the time, the contenders included the DAC1, DA10, M902, Presonus CS, and the Corda Opera. The reason I didn't commit was that there seemed to be no real consensus as to the best amongst them. Each received mixed praise that often changed to harsh criticisms of grainy highs, poor amplifier sections, poor DAC sections, poor bass, et cetera, after the initial Head-fi 'flavour of the month' period ended. to I have been away from the forum since then; has anything new (noting the DA11) emerged that has such unequivocal praise that I can feel secure in torturing my wallet? Thanks
biggrin.gif

Mar 7, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #2 of 5
My take on this issue is biased since I own two Lavry DA10s.

I would go for the DA11 if I were going to use it anywhere near a computer.

Mar 8, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #3 of 5
My answer is also very biased since I own it, but I would not hesitate to recommend the April Music Stello DP200 DAC/Preamplifier/Headphone amplifier if you can find one used. It originally sold for around $2,200 but I believe they may be available for something around $1,400~$1,500 as a second-hand product.

The DAC compares very favourably to other top names (Wadia, Bel Canto, Mark Levinson, Accuphase, etc.) and comes with a fully-discrete, Class-A, balanced output stage. It also has a dedicated fully-discrete headphone amp section. Upsampling up to 192kHz and full bypass is available. Oh, it also comes with a very sturdy remote control. The headphone amp section is superb and is pitch black dead silent without any hissing which can be an issue with low impedance/highly sensitive headphones. I could go on and on, but at its price range, I think you'll have a really hard time trying to find anything of similar quality and characteristic.

Mar 10, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #5 of 5
I like the convenience and form factor of a DAC/amp combo. I have owned a few of them over the last few years, including the Lavry DA10 and the Benchmark DAC1.

Currently I have both the Grace m902 and the Headroom Ultra Desktop. I bought each of them used for a little over $1,000.

Both the Grace and the Headroom are great Dac/amp combos. In particular, I am really enjoying the Grace with my HD600. It is smooth, detailed, non-fatiguing and has a great sense of space. The Headroom gives up some of the spatial detail but is a bit more dynamic and richer in tone. A little more colored.

I wasn't as enamored with the amp sections in the Benchmark and Lavry, though they are both great DACs.

I've been meaning to write more about the m902 and Ultra Desktop because not much is said about them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back