DAC/AMP choices I have (RME, Burton, EarMen, Topping, EverSolo, JDS Labs) opinions appreciated
Mar 24, 2024 at 2:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Gallatyn

New Head-Fier
I’ve decided to spend around $1,300 +/- $100 for some new equipment. I’m going to have about $800 credit at a store (Bloom) and would like some help with what to buy. The choices I have listed below are available at the store and look nice - but I don’t really know THAT much about them.

Music output will be from iBasso DX260 via COAX or Bluetooth (if I want but not priority) or via USB on a MacMini M2.

Headphones currently being used:

-Focal Elear

-Denon AH-D5000

-Various IEMs (Dunu SA6 MK2, Sennheiser IE 600, Aful Performer 8, 7Hz Timeless AE)

I’d like to get something new even though I already have 3 other DAC/AMP combos that I could use via USB from a computer (JDS The Element first release, Burson HA-160DS and a Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII).

Choices I’ve selected:

RME ADI-2 DAC FS: EQ function seems nice.

BURSON AUDIO CONDUCTOR 3X PERFORMANCE: also seems nice - although my current BURSON has a little hiss.

EARMEN TRADUTTO with EARMEN CH-AMP: can get it on sale for about the same price as the RME.

TOPPING D70 PRO SABRE with TOPPING A70 PRO: can get for a little less than the RME, EARMEN and BURSON.

EVERSOLO DAC-Z8: also seems nice and wouldn't be spending ~$1,300 because it costs just over half of the RME, BURSON and EARMEN.

I know there are other options on the site where I’ll have credit but the options above are the ones that looked interesting to me.

OR

JDS Labs EL DAC II+ with EL Amp II+ from the JDS site and then find another headphone or IEM with the $800 credit that I’ll have from the other store?

Thanks in advance for your input!

-Gallatyn

Mar 24, 2024 at 2:46 PM Post #2 of 20
Hi there.
Singxer SDA2 if you find a second hand. Or new models.
Hifiman Serenade.
Both worth the try.

Mar 24, 2024 at 3:19 PM Post #4 of 20
I use a Topping A70 Pro with an SMSL DL200, but have built stacks with the D70Pro Velvet and Octo. Just go for it, the Sabre isn't going to be audibly different, filters don't affect much except 15khz+ treble rolloff on a few. I got it with the warranty doubled to 2 years and that's at least how long I'm keeping these as a daily driver. Only the SMSL SP400/M400 stack I have can compete for sound quality. The SMSL D-6S also works great with it, had that one paired also. You could save a lot with the DL200 though, and the A70Pro fits neatly on top of it. Neither even gets the slightest bit warm together.

PXL_20240324_145247354.jpg

Mar 24, 2024 at 3:27 PM Post #5 of 20
If you have any interest in the eq function then the ADI-2-DAC is a really solid choice, and honestly it's a great piece of equipment anyway even if you end up not using the eq.

Mar 25, 2024 at 3:50 AM Post #6 of 20
Mar 25, 2024 at 2:23 PM Post #7 of 20
Someone on other forum has this Topping and his very satisfied with it.

Mar 25, 2024 at 2:32 PM Post #8 of 20
Someone on other forum has this Topping and his very satisfied with it.
The thing that worries me are the quality control threads that seem to pop up for this brand. I tend to see people having issues with Topping than other brands. For just about every product you're going to have some people who have issues and some that don't. However, it still makes me a bit nervous since I've never experienced that brand myself.

Mar 25, 2024 at 2:44 PM Post #9 of 20
Well it is Chinese brand.
But I have a Singxer, it comes from China as well and I use it a year or two. No issues. Matrix audio, Denafrips, Holo Audio and some other brands are coming from China. I think it is not as it was some time ago. Their products are as good or sometimes probably better than non Chinese brands.
Read some reviews or look at the movies on YouTube.

Mar 25, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #10 of 20
Well it is Chinese brand.
But I have a Singxer, it comes from China as well and I use it a year or two. No issues. Matrix audio, Denafrips, Holo Audio and some other brands are coming from China. I think it is not as it was some time ago. Their products are as good or sometimes probably better than non Chinese brands.
Read some reviews or look at the movies on YouTube.
All but one of my IEMs come from China and they're great. It just seems to be a little more higher risk that I'll land a unit with an issue. I suppose it goes with the turf considering the good performance at a lower cost. I would think that even the "expensive" products from China would cost even more if manufactured in some other places.

Mar 25, 2024 at 3:54 PM Post #11 of 20
It might seem like, but is it higher risk? These days?

Mar 25, 2024 at 4:28 PM Post #13 of 20
If you have any interest in the eq function then the ADI-2-DAC is a really solid choice, and honestly it's a great piece of equipment anyway even if you end up not using the eq.

I don't have experience with any of your options except the RME and JDS Labs.

I'll say this, the RME is a fantastic piece of equipment. It is utterly transparent and has so many options for EQ, Loudness, Crossfeed, etc, that I'd miss it if I didn't have it. Plus with the software control, adjustments are super easy.

I've found that JDS stuff is super capable (I have an Atom amp and an Element III mk2). but when pushed, I find the sound tends to be a bit thinner overall.

My vote is the RME...quality German engineering. Quality product. No regrets.

Mar 25, 2024 at 4:42 PM Post #14 of 20
Don't really know? My IEMs have been good so far. :ksc75smile:
Maybe just look around, what is selling in the stores nearby. Not only Chinese brands. There are brands like Shiit audio and other made in the US. Monoprice is also one of them. But there must be more than that - US is a huge country right .

Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...

this is a conversation here on the Head-fi.org page.
If you have time take a look. Members there, have a lot of great stuff and not always very expensieve.

Mar 25, 2024 at 7:24 PM Post #15 of 20
Maybe just look around, what is selling in the stores nearby. Not only Chinese brands. There are brands like Shiit audio and other made in the US. Monoprice is also one of them. But there must be more than that - US is a huge country right .

If you have time take a look. Members there, have a lot of great stuff and not always very expensieve.

Image further below:
Headphone Amp/Dacs: Burson HA-160DS, JDS Labs The Element, Leckerton Audio UHA-6S.MKII
DAPs: Sony NW-WM1AM2, iBasso DX-260
Headphones: Focal Elear, Denon AH-D5000
IEMs: Sennheiser IE 600, Dunu SA6 MKII, Aful Performer 8, 7Hz Timeless AE
Preamp: ADCOM GFP-565
Amp: ADCOM GFA-545 II
Speakers: B&W DM603 S3

IMG_1195.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1195.jpeg
    IMG_1195.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread