DAC/Amp Advice for DT880's
Feb 5, 2010 at 11:51 AM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by igotyofire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
please note.....you want be able to amp headphones with the D1 unless you have some sort of RCA interconnect with a female TRS connector to your headphones. The D1 internal tube is only used on the rear RCA out of the D1. The headphone out as i believe as others are saying is at the same level as the input source, im not sure how that works exactly as i dont have 250ohm headphones or the dac in my hands yet.

okay now this confuses me.. one of the main reasons i got the D1 is because i have little to no experience with headphone gear. i thought the D1 was pretty much plug and play?

Feb 5, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #17 of 26
someone else chime in

Feb 5, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #18 of 26
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/mav...9/#post6375083

ok it sounds like there is an OP amp ...solid state chip... for the headphone amp, i may have been mistaken. i dont recall reading about this, i guess the main thing they wanted people to know was that the tube is not for the headphone out.

Feb 5, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by igotyofire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
someone else chime in

It was already detailed way back in post #3:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpstereo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Maverick is a great place to start! In my opinion, the DT880 loves tubes but the headphone output in the D1 does not flow through the D1's tube. You can always save up for a seperate tube amp and then use the D1 as a DAC for your new amp if you decide to go that way!

Feb 5, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It was already detailed way back in post #3:

thanks this is what i thought. I will probably end up saving up for a more expensive tube amp to buy in the near future to pair with the D1. from what i read the DAC in the D1 is pretty decent to begin with.

Feb 5, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by thehappydog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks this is what i thought. I will probably end up saving up for a more expensive tube amp to buy in the near future to pair with the D1. from what i read the DAC in the D1 is pretty decent to begin with.

Definitely save for a tube amp, those Beyers will love you for feeding it some tubes.

Feb 12, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #22 of 26
so got my D1 in the mail today, still waiting up on the Beyers, though.
in the mean time, i decided i could burn the amp in a little with my Ultrasone HFI-550's.
i've never really reviewed anything, but ill do my best to get my initial thoughts down.

154equx.jpg

300w804.jpg

right off the bat, the unit is very sleek looking. it definitely does smell of paint, but after 30 mins or so the smell dissipates. i plugged it in to my macbook pro via usb, and it was recognized instantly, no problem.

after plugging in my headphones (ultrasone hfi-550's), i was blown away at the amount of power this thing throws out. with my ultrasone headphones, im in between 6 and 7 oclock, which is only a few clicks from silence. i'm sure the Beyers will be more demanding.

sound wise, i've heard things i've never heard in recordings before. drums are tighter and more defined, and highs soar. my only negative observation is at times, the amp can sound shrill, but as it burns in im sure it will get warmer and warmer. hopefully by the time my Beyers arrive, ill be totally burned in. all in all, im very satisfied with my purchase.

Feb 13, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by thehappydog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so got my D1 in the mail today, still waiting up on the Beyers, though.
in the mean time, i decided i could burn the amp in a little with my Ultrasone HFI-550's.
i've never really reviewed anything, but ill do my best to get my initial thoughts down.

154equx.jpg

300w804.jpg

right off the bat, the unit is very sleek looking. it definitely does smell of paint, but after 30 mins or so the smell dissipates. i plugged it in to my macbook pro via usb, and it was recognized instantly, no problem.

after plugging in my headphones (ultrasone hfi-550's), i was blown away at the amount of power this thing throws out. with my ultrasone headphones, im in between 6 and 7 oclock, which is only a few clicks from silence. i'm sure the Beyers will be more demanding.

sound wise, i've heard things i've never heard in recordings before. drums are tighter and more defined, and highs soar. my only negative observation is at times, the amp can sound shrill, but as it burns in im sure it will get warmer and warmer. hopefully by the time my Beyers arrive, ill be totally burned in. all in all, im very satisfied with my purchase.

That looks awesome! Seems like you made a good choice - just imagine how good it's going to sound when you're outputting to an amp through the DAC's tube! I shudder to think that you almost got the uDAC instead
ph34r.gif
- does not pair well with beyers.

If you have any budget left over and want a low-cost amp, the Thunderbolt Max in my sig sounds fantastic with the DT880s. I prefer it to the Jade tube amp. From the way you describe the D1, you would be in "lush" heaven with that setup - and I mean lush in terms of awesomely rich sound, not drunk.
beyersmile.png

Congratulations.

Feb 20, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Consider too the tubed Phenix G3-T7. A truly nice combo with the DT-880s!

What did you chose for the G3-T7 instead of the G3?

Feb 20, 2010 at 1:54 AM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Weps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What did you chose for the G3-T7 instead of the G3?

Smoother more tube-like sound. Pairs especiallly well with my DT880s!

Feb 20, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

Smoother more tube-like sound. Pairs especiallly well with my DT880s!

I have a DT880 but will also buy a HD650, so I'm looking for an amp that fits both. Maybe I should go for the G3?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back