DAC-AH Passive Mod (newbie needs help)
Mar 30, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #16 of 18
On second thought, it's sounding much better after 75 hours of run-in. I think I'll just leave it alone for a while. It's leaps and bounds ahead of the quality I was getting from my X-Fi weeks ago. RMAA shows improvements across the board, as do my ears. Thanks again.

--Matt

Apr 6, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #17 of 18
I've let it run in for 150 hours now, and have taken another set of RMAA samples. The frequency response improved a lot between 1 and 75 hours and pretty much none after that point. THD improved steadily from .106 to .105 on to .099 now. It looks like I'm getting pretty heavy high frequency rolloff over ~10k. Is there anything that I can do to improve it? I know that it's a characteristic of NOS DACs, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. There's also a big THD spike at 1k that I'd like to mitigate or reduce if possible, but it also looks like a fairly common issue.

--Matt

Apr 7, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #18 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattkosem /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've let it run in for 150 hours now, and have taken another set of RMAA samples. The frequency response improved a lot between 1 and 75 hours and pretty much none after that point. THD improved steadily from .106 to .105 on to .099 now. It looks like I'm getting pretty heavy high frequency rolloff over ~10k. Is there anything that I can do to improve it? I know that it's a characteristic of NOS DACs, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. There's also a big THD spike at 1k that I'd like to mitigate or reduce if possible, but it also looks like a fairly common issue.

--Matt

I don't know if it's characteristic of all NOS DACs, but it is of the TDA1543 chip. As for the spike at 1K, not a clue. I should run some RMAA tests on mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back