DAC-AH change voltage input (240V->110V)
May 13, 2007 at 4:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

thislittlepiggy

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I have little to no knowledge of modding, and I just received a DAC-AH from Australia that accepts 240V. The problem is that I live in the US, so our wall sockets provide 110V, so I either have to buy a step up transformer or mess around with the innards.

Anyone know how to do this? Here are some pics of the DAC:

img1521vb3.jpg

img1527ek3.jpg

img1528wg1.jpg

I'm suspicious of those two taped off wires in the last pic.

May 13, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #2 of 9
Disconnect one vire (no matter red or orange) from main socket and connect jel/green. Isolate disconnected vire.
Zigis.

May 13, 2007 at 11:30 PM Post #4 of 9
No, it is not necessary.
For working 115V you need to connect to main only red and yellow, or green and orange ( only one variant). If it is hard to disconnect yellow and green (maybee twisted and soldered) you can leave it. Even if you disconnect yel/green, remember, in unused primary you get 115V, so isolate all vires.
Zigis.

May 14, 2007 at 6:46 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by thislittlepiggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok, I think I know what to do now. I'm just going to desolder the orange and attach green and yellow onto where the orange wire was. Here goes nothing.

May i recommend disconnecting transformer power output from the board prior to doing anything silly, and then measure the transformer output before reconnecting it. At least that way you wont fry your board if something goes wrong

May 14, 2007 at 7:05 AM Post #7 of 9
you're too late. hugz, i've burned down my apt building already.

just kiddin! i tried replacing the orange wire with just the yellow, but when i turned it on, i heard this really scary loud humming noise, which prompted me to shut it off ASAP. hopefully i didn't F up the components.

i looked around on the forums at other people's DAC-AH innards and noticed that they had both yellow and orange wires attached to the upper right prong. I attached both the yellow and orange wires to the upper-right prong, and all was well when i turned it on... i think.

i don't have a voltmeter, so i can't test what voltage it's outputting. i feel so incredibly foolish right now, but i'm just trying to distract myself from studying for my final exams and waiting for my mcat scores.

Oh, and btw, where should i attach the leads to test the voltage output of the transformer, and what's the expected reading?

May 14, 2007 at 8:59 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by thislittlepiggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you're too late. hugz, i've burned down my apt building already.

just kiddin! i tried replacing the orange wire with just the yellow, but when i turned it on, i heard this really scary loud humming noise, which prompted me to shut it off ASAP. hopefully i didn't F up the components.

i looked around on the forums at other people's DAC-AH innards and noticed that they had both yellow and orange wires attached to the upper right prong. I attached both the yellow and orange wires to the upper-right prong, and all was well when i turned it on... i think.

i don't have a voltmeter, so i can't test what voltage it's outputting. i feel so incredibly foolish right now, but i'm just trying to distract myself from studying for my final exams and waiting for my mcat scores.

Oh, and btw, where should i attach the leads to test the voltage output of the transformer, and what's the expected reading?

since nothing's blown up it's probably fine. i think you'd notice if somethin was wrong. i was only really recommending to check the voltage prior to connecting anything. if u feel like it, try do measurements at the places where the wires come out of the transformer and go onto the board. the voltage should match what it says on the transformer label

out of curiousity, are you from australia or did you get that dacah shipped all the way?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back