DAC advise needed, upgradeitis is setting in!
Apr 13, 2020 at 10:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

audiojan

New Head-Fier
I bought a Jotunheim with balanced DAC module to drive my ZMF Aelous. Well, it didn't take long before upgradeitis is setting in and I'm realizing that the DAC is the limiting factor...

So, what do you recommend? Here's what I'd like/setup; MacBook Pro via AQ Carbon USB, Tidal via Roon; I'd like to stay fully balanced if at all possible (not 100% necessary, but a benefit), I'd like to decode MQA and DSD. Sound reference is my PS Audio DirectStream Sr which is in my stereo setup (love that DAC, but there's no way I can buy a second just for my office!). Budget is a bit flexible, but I'd like to stay under $1000 (used).

Apr 15, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #2 of 8
Are you sure the $230 USB cable isnt the bottleneck? :D, jk. Why do you want mqa and dsd? because you want the features or because you've heard them and can tell a difference/like them? im assuming you heard it on the directsream and like it. If youre sure you need an mqa/dsd capable dac with a budget under $1k then youre limited really to a good deal on a used Mytek Brooklyn or buy a SMSL M500 new. The PureAudio Lotus Dac5 can also be found under $1k used very rarely. The other options im sure you've found through research can get really expensive. A lot of MQA dacs will come with extra features like streamers and stuff so they get expensive. Good luck! Ive owned the Mytek and M500 and can reccomend both if you can get at a good price. I wouldnt pay more than $900 for used Mytek Brooklyn. If its the + version, i wouldnt go above $1,100 used.

Cheers!

Apr 16, 2020 at 6:36 AM Post #4 of 8
Are you sure the $230 USB cable isnt the bottleneck? :D, jk. Why do you want mqa and dsd? because you want the features or because you've heard them and can tell a difference/like them? im assuming you heard it on the directsream and like it. If youre sure you need an mqa/dsd capable dac with a budget under $1k then youre limited really to a good deal on a used Mytek Brooklyn or buy a SMSL M500 new. The PureAudio Lotus Dac5 can also be found under $1k used very rarely. The other options im sure you've found through research can get really expensive. A lot of MQA dacs will come with extra features like streamers and stuff so they get expensive. Good luck! Ive owned the Mytek and M500 and can reccomend both if you can get at a good price. I wouldnt pay more than $900 for used Mytek Brooklyn. If its the + version, i wouldnt go above $1,100 used.

Cheers!

The AQ Carbon isn't anywhere near $230... You commonly find it under $170 new and much closer to $100 used.

I do want DSD and MQA not only because I have heard it in my own system via the PSA DS, but also because it gives me options if I so chose to. Most of my listening is Tidal so MQA is a "nice to have". If I could, I would just get another PSA PS, but that's simply too much money to spend on a second (headphone) system.

Apr 19, 2020 at 3:05 AM Post #6 of 8
Used Mytek Brooklyn seems like a decent choice given what you want, if you do not care for MQA, I suggest DAC 3 B by Benchmark, they are a no nonsense company.

Apr 21, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #8 of 8
I take your advice, but I don't need it anyway. :beyersmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back