DAC advice needed
Jun 13, 2009 at 2:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

OutdoorXplorer

1000+ Head-Fier
I am in the midst of upgrading my audio rig and would like to include a DAC in between the path.

Current setup
iPod Classic - ALO Fidelity Dock - VdH D102 Hybrid MKIII - Woo Audio 6 SEM [stock tubes] - RS1 & HD650 [in transit]

Forthcoming setup
SlimDevices SB Classic - TosLink / Coaxial??? - DAC??? - VdH D102 Hybrid MKIII - Woo Audio 6 SEM - Double Helix Cable??? - HD650 [in transit]

I am currently contemplating to get hold of either KECES DA-131 MKII, Cambridge Audio DacMagic or Mhdt Paradisea+. Pardon me for being a newbie in the DAC arena.

I find TosLink connectivity is cheaper than Coaxial, wonder I will be sacrificing quality should I opt for it.

Looking forward to some friendly advise rather than burning my hard earned cash together with a DAC of the wrong choice.

Jun 15, 2009 at 12:57 PM Post #2 of 23
Some people say that there is a difference between coax and toslink but i havent heard it yet.
I prefer Coax just because it connection is fitting more snug.
A good recommendation for cables are the ones Blue Jeans Cable. Verry good build quality.
Blue Jeans Cable -- Broadcast-Quality Cables at Reasonable Prices

I got a Dacmagic last week and it sounds great. Defenitly a recommendation, although i have nothing to compare it to.
Another DAC to look at might be the Little Dot DAC_1. Its just released so it might be difficult to find some reviews/impressions about it
Viewing a thread - Little Dot DAC_I Digital to Analog Converter

Jun 15, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #5 of 23
I bought a KECES DA 131.1 eight months ago and it quit on me today.

Don't know what's wrong with it but I get no lights and no sound. So that is that and I am back to using the analog outputs of my Squeezebox Duet. I was contemplating upgrading to a Transporter, and now it would seem that decision has more or less been made for me.

--Jerome

Jun 16, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #7 of 23
I'd care to guess that's what you get with cheaper Chinese manufactured electronics for the most part....

Like the Zero and all the problems people had with them?
frown.gif

Jun 16, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by OutdoorXplorer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Holy cow... I was expecting the DAC to work for years. Could it be just the fuse?

I thought of the fuse too and replaced it. No dice. The DAC is toast.

It's a shame too because I really liked its sound.

--Jerome

Jun 16, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #10 of 23
I have the Audio GD 19Mk3, it sounds pretty good, at least compared to my previous DAC, DACMagic.

Jun 16, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #12 of 23
I heard the Paradisea and didn't think it was that special; your amp and phones could probably use a bit more resolution than it provides.

I also wouldn't rule out the Keces, and would add an Oritek-modded Zhalou to your shortlist.

Jun 16, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #14 of 23
Jun 16, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1UP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Read these:
This owner prefers the Keces to the DacMagic http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/kec...mk-2-a-408309/

And this one preferred the Paradisea to the Keces http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/keces-vs-mhdt-405424/

Remember the opamps can be rolled in the Keces, and there's a bit of a price difference here; I feel the Paradisea is somewhat overpriced, as it's in the ballpark a new PS Audio DLIII

By virtue of these 2 comparisons, it makes me even
confused_face.gif
. Anyway Keces currently is ran out of parts for the Silver IEC upgrade and it gotta wait till June 26 for replenishment. I shall be able to wait and decide in the next couple of the days reading other feedbacks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back