DAC advice for my setup
Feb 12, 2010 at 9:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

triple-u

100+ Head-Fier
So I just bought a Darkvoice 336SE from another head-fier here and I'm waiting for it to arrive next week. I'm now wondering if my setup will be able to really power the amp to its potential.

My sources will be my laptop and sometimes my netbook. I will be connecting an Ibasso D3 Python to them through USB, then running the output of that to Darkvoice.

Is the USB DAC on the D3 good enough to work with the Darkvoice? I'm considering getting a dedicated DAC instead with optical input, since my laptop has optical output. Would that be an improvement?

For headphones, I'll be using my HFI-780 and HF-2's with the amp. I know that the Darkvoice doesn't have great synergy with low impedance headphones, but I am planning on getting a pair of DT880s or HD650s (whichever pops up for a good price on the FS board first)

Does anyone have any advice on what I should use as a DAC? I've been looking at the Zero and Maverick, because I'm looking for something a bit cheaper, but I'm unsure.

Feb 12, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #2 of 8
I'd consider that Little Dot DAC_I or II, it looks like a very awesome DAC, and I think it has optical.

Just avoid the uDAC - I'm sure you'll get some fanboys in here recommending it, so I'll put out a "pre-emptive" warning - because trust me, it's a budget DAC that is colored and midbass bloated, and in my experience does not sound good at all with DT880s, nor with HD650s according to other reports, and with its darker sound it does not match up with a tube amp as transparently or well as the LD is likely to, based on what I've read of it so far. I'm sure there are lots of other good choices out there, too, just avoid the uDAC in your situation.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 13, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for the suggestion. I have looked at the Little Dot DAC, but it is a bit more than I was hoping to spend at the moment.

Does anyone have any experience with the Ibasso D3 as a DAC for dedicated amps?

Feb 14, 2010 at 6:08 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by triple-u /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I just bought a Darkvoice 336SE from another head-fier here and I'm waiting for it to arrive next week. I'm now wondering if my setup will be able to really power the amp to its potential.

My sources will be my laptop and sometimes my netbook. I will be connecting an Ibasso D3 Python to them through USB, then running the output of that to Darkvoice.

Is the USB DAC on the D3 good enough to work with the Darkvoice? I'm considering getting a dedicated DAC instead with optical input, since my laptop has optical output. Would that be an improvement?

For headphones, I'll be using my HFI-780 and HF-2's with the amp. I know that the Darkvoice doesn't have great synergy with low impedance headphones, but I am planning on getting a pair of DT880s or HD650s (whichever pops up for a good price on the FS board first)

Does anyone have any advice on what I should use as a DAC? I've been looking at the Zero and Maverick, because I'm looking for something a bit cheaper, but I'm unsure.

The D3 would do a nice job as DAC line out, but if you can afford the D4 for USB or D10 for optical you will be able to extract some extra detail from the 336 than you could with the D3. With the D10 you can play native 24/96 files via optical. With good tubes the 336 will be able to take advantage of the extra resolution (Sylvania VT-231 or RCA grey glass 6SN7GT in front + Tung Sol 5998 in rear).

If you need more volume, the Headroom Micro DAC or Pico DAC only will give you more powerful output from the DAC than any of the iBasso DACs line-out, allowing the 336 to play just a little louder before clipping. Although the iBassos also work well when used as a preamp and feeding the headphone out into another amp. The 336 should still sound nice with those two phones you have, as I have tried 780's and RS-1 on the 336 and they weren't bad. It was surprisingly good with my Edition 9, balancing out the lows and highs, with good power.

Feb 15, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #6 of 8
I suggest that you check out the DAC popularity. It's a good indication of what users have decided after long hours of search and etc.

Feb 16, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #7 of 8
Thanks for the comments. I did get a few tubes to roll with. Currently switching around the Sylvania 6SN7WGT and Ken-Rad JAN VT-231 on the front and the Bendix 6080WB at the rear.

I'll probably stick with the D3 for a while. But the HeadRoom Micro Dac does look appealing.

I haven't heard of the Pico DAC yet, though I have read a lot about the DAC/Amp. Is this the DAC that you were talking about HeadphoneAddict?

Feb 16, 2010 at 8:37 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by triple-u /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the comments. I did get a few tubes to roll with. Currently switching around the Sylvania 6SN7WGT and Ken-Rad JAN VT-231 on the front and the Bendix 6080WB at the rear.

I'll probably stick with the D3 for a while. But the HeadRoom Micro Dac does look appealing.

I haven't heard of the Pico DAC yet, though I have read a lot about the DAC/Amp. Is this the DAC that you were talking about HeadphoneAddict?

Yes, that is it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back