dac 4 pc
Oct 19, 2006 at 6:50 AM Post #3 of 16
since you said you know nothing about DACs, a couple of things first. there are essentially three ways to feed a DAC: 1) rca s/pdif, 2) toslink or optical, 3) usb. the first 2 are typically available as inputs on a DAC but require output that typically comes from a soundcard. virtually every computer has usb but a DAC with usb in, though somewhat common, is certainly not a default. in other words, shop carefully if looking for this type of DAC.

as for what to spend? a bunch of head-fi'ers are enjoying cheap entech DACs which are readily available on eBay for $35 or $100 (there are 2 models available). in general this will be an improvement over a soundcards onboard DAC unless you have a pretty serious soundcard. you next jump up to the $200-$275 range for many of the asian DACs also readily available on eBay. or check out Pacific Valve's site for a nice selection. i'm currently using mhdt's constantine DAC and very happy with it.

of course, as with all things audiophile, you can keep going up the financial ladder. to answer your original question, i would say expect to pay around $250 usd to get something decent unless you go the used market.

oh, by the way - you do have an amp to go along with the DAC... right?
wink.gif

Oct 27, 2006 at 12:41 PM Post #4 of 16
well id like something around $150 and to connect to my laptop and soon to come little dot2+ and akg501 i know about the micro dac but it is twice what i am willing to spend on a dac. I would value performance over anything else and portability is not a concern.

Oct 27, 2006 at 7:04 PM Post #5 of 16
I'm getting a Behringer Ultramatch Pro, its kinda overkill. Not portable at all. But for $129 you get a heck of a DAC with a ton of features.

Oct 28, 2006 at 3:43 AM Post #9 of 16
does it even work straight out of a pc??? i dont know how dac cabling works but i imagine that i would use some kind of cable to connect it to my pc then the out on the dac would connect to the amp and then the headphones. does the entech have a usb in?

i bet its not that simple....

Oct 29, 2006 at 4:44 AM Post #12 of 16
Oct 29, 2006 at 6:39 AM Post #13 of 16
well my computer only has usb and headphone out so just about everything is out of the question
frown.gif

So what about the m audio transit? it aint gonna sound great but at least it might work...

Oct 29, 2006 at 9:22 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by nothing101
well my computer only has usb and headphone out so just about everything is out of the question
frown.gif

So what about the m audio transit? it aint gonna sound great but at least it might work...

That is not a DAC, really its an extrenal 24bit/96k sound card with analog (line out you use the RCA cable with it) and Digital inputs and outputs you have to use the Optical cables with this.

I am useing one in conjunction with my Jasmine amp to my senn HD600's and the sound is really good but i am sure if i had a better source and better DAC my system would sound even better
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back