Dac-1 PC soundcard question
Apr 19, 2005 at 6:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Csi

Head-Fier
I currently have a Audigy 2 ZS platnium pro and just bought a Benchmark Dac-1. Does it really matter whether to upgrade to a Chaintech AV710 when using the optical out on the Audigy? Is the Chaintech's digital out that big of a difference compared to the digital out on a Audigy? I know the Audigy card by itself is said to be bad music wise but does that only apply to the standard 1/8 / 1/4 jack outputs?

Also for the fellow Dac-1 owners, I read randomly on some thread a while ago that the Dac-1 doesn't come with any optical cables let alone anyhting else other than the Dac. Apparently you need this optical TOSlink cable? to connect the Dac to whatever sound card i have. So if i were to pick up a glass TOSlink cable what brand and how much should i expect to spend on this connector cable? I currently have Senn 650/XLRed Zu's and want a cable that will be somewhat comparable in quality if that makes any sense? [like you woudln't buy a cheap 20 dollar amp to drive 880's etc etc...i hope that analogy works?]

Also if you have any suggestions on specific type glass? plastic? or any other toslink cables please feel free to post. Pro's and Cons to each kind of toslink? Lastily I also remember reading a long time ago about people who customized their Dac's by changing the power supply. How much should i spend on paying for a new powersupply and should I? Should i even bother since i'm not really tech savvy and have no background in any electrical engineering or any basic wiring abilies that i assume are needed in such a DIY task. Thanks guys for your help!

Apr 19, 2005 at 7:06 AM Post #3 of 8
The glass toslink on ebay is meant to be very good - I wouldn't let the low cost put you off - these things by definition cannot get that expensive and more expensive does not mean better.

Only thing is I dunno if Audigy resamples to 48khz with its digital outputs, too, cause then you'd be feeding the DAC a compromised signal

Apr 19, 2005 at 11:09 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Is the Chaintech's digital out that big of a difference compared to the digital out on a Audigy?

Yes, huge difference.

It would be an absolute waste to feed a $1000 DAC with the digital out of an Audigy, you MUST get something that outputs bit-perfect. From what I have read, the DAC1 has excellent jitter-rejection capabilities so it makes sense to get the Chaintech (which for $30 is the cheapest card that does bit-perfect).

I used to have a high-end CD player with a digital input (thereby capable of acting as an external DAC). I compared the digital out of the Revo (does bit-perfect, based on the same chipset as the chaintech) and the Audigy 2. There was a night-and-day difference between them. Even my complete non-audiophile wife could easily notice the difference.

Apr 19, 2005 at 12:22 PM Post #5 of 8
The MCM glass toslink cables are very good and better priced than the Ebay ones. There's a post here detailing & comparing them.

I bought 3 if any UK member is interested I have just one spare.

Steve

Apr 19, 2005 at 8:33 PM Post #6 of 8
Thanks for the input guys!

I recently checked out some of the components found inside the Chaintech AV710 and it appears to come with an optical cable as well. For those who also have bought a Chaintech is that optical link good enough for a Dac-1 or should i still go out and spend another 20-40 bucks on a glass toslink cable? Also again are there any specific benefits I am supposed to look for in comparing the quality of toslink cables and comparing the material makeup? Also anybody with advice on the powersupply question? Lastily are all those XLR to 1/8 or 1/4 adaptors the same in quality?

Apr 21, 2005 at 7:51 AM Post #7 of 8
A quick little bump. Still need some feed back on the toslink and power supply question. As for the XLR to 1/4 adaptors. I seem to have to difficulty finding a finished adaptor. The only one i found was the one offered on Moon Audio's website where they label it as "Balanced to 1/4" Adapter for use with multiple Amps (Old Color)" [http://www.moon-audio.com/ found under the headphone and portable cables section]. I would think that it is a standard adaptor that could work with Zu Mobiou's terminated F-XLR cables right? Also are there any other options that do the same thing as that Silver Dragon adaptor that may be cheaper? I recently asked Drew Baird of Moon Audio and he said it would cost me 60 bucks. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back