DAC-1 owners - question regarding XLR v. RCA
Sep 9, 2007 at 12:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Minimauled

100+ Head-Fier
I was able to switch from using the RCA jacks to now using the XLR jacks and the difference is major. I have a Stax 007tII amp so I have the RCA interconnects and the XLR interconnects attached at the same time and can switch back and forth at the touch of a button. The RCA jacks drop in volume a full number on my Stax volume nob. The RCAs, even when turned up to match the volume level of the XLRs sound a bit recessed and less dynamic. I tried two different RCA interconnects and get the same result. I don't have the exact matching XLR interconnects for a better comparison but they are on the same level quality as the RCAs so I don't think it's the brand of cable.

Anybody know what's going on?

Sep 9, 2007 at 12:16 AM Post #2 of 11
IIRC XLR are balanced the the RCA are unbalanced jacks, maybe you are switching between balanced and unbalanced...

Sep 9, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IIRC XLR are balanced the the RCA are unbalanced jacks, maybe you are switching between balanced and unbalanced...

I'm definitely switching between balanced and unbalanced but I wouldn't have thought there would be a difference in volume at all and not so much of a sound quality difference. I'm only using 1m interconnects.

Sep 9, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #4 of 11
Try to use the same volume for both cases, in balanced mode you are using four amps instead of two of the SE side, not sure how internally it was implemented though.
Also sometimes the difference in volume is really misleading to determine the sound quality, as the louder tends to sound better to you...that happens, other than that, they are different implementations and the sound quality depends on how good the SE was implemented, or if it was an afterthought...if the DAC is balanced internally and they are not using splitters, then the balanced should be better definitelly...

Sep 9, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Minimauled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm definitely switching between balanced and unbalanced but I wouldn't have thought there would be a difference in volume at all and not so much of a sound quality difference. I'm only using 1m interconnects.

I think I remember reading that the XLR outputs have a slightly higher gain, not sure though. I don't know why it would sound better though. Did you also try bypassing the volume control on the Dac1, do you notice any SQ change there? (by using the toggle switch near rca jacks) be carefull it sets it to full volume in up posistion.

Frank

Sep 9, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #6 of 11
In balanced mode, the gain is almost doubled...not to mentioned the overall dynamics is also doubled. In my case, the fun and excitement is more than doubled in balanced mode
wink.gif

Sep 9, 2007 at 6:02 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by SK138 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In balanced mode, the gain is almost doubled...not to mentioned the overall dynamics is also doubled. In my case, the fun and excitement is more than doubled in balanced mode
wink.gif

agreed
icon10.gif

Sep 9, 2007 at 7:08 AM Post #8 of 11
I have the exact same experience in my system.
Going from single ended (RCA) to fully balanced (XLR) between DAC and SRM-007t gave higher volume level, and increased dynamics. Its probably just the nature of balanced amplification...

Sep 9, 2007 at 2:15 PM Post #9 of 11
Check out the DAC1-USB thread on the Source forum. According to Elias Gwinn (an electrical engineer at Benchmark), the RCA and XLR outputs differ only in gain but are sonically and electrically identical. So what other changes besides gain you're hearing are most likely due to the different circuitry (ie balanced vs single ended) in your amp.

Sep 9, 2007 at 2:31 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by twsmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out the DAC1-USB thread on the Source forum. According to Elias Gwinn (an electrical engineer at Benchmark), the RCA and XLR outputs differ only in gain but are sonically and electrically identical. So what other changes besides gain you're hearing are most likely due to the different circuitry (ie balanced vs single ended) in your amp.

Yes that's what I remember reading now.

Sep 10, 2007 at 3:06 PM Post #11 of 11
I got an email from Steve Nugent of Empirical Audio who modifies the Benchmark who said the RCAs can sound just as good as the XLRs and it's amp dependent. So don't go sell your SE amps.

But as far as the Stax 007tII goes...I think xlr beats the rca jacks w/o a doubt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back