DAC-1 or what ?
Jan 9, 2006 at 9:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 78

Mr.Shadow

500+ Head-Fier
Hey, I got my Beyr DT 880 a few days ago and I am still looking for a decent amp.
A friend Recomended on the Benchmark DAC-1 and he Said it will suprass my current Sources (listed on my sig) and that it has a good Headphone amp.
my question is, does the difference between my current sources and the DAC 1 will be significant that much ?
and how good is its Headphone amp ?
And should I look for a solution like the DAC-1 or should I look for an Headphone amp in a decent price, something around 500-600$ which will do the job better ?

Thanks for all those who would answer
580smile.gif

Jan 9, 2006 at 9:40 AM Post #3 of 78
The Emu is hardly garbage though... it should smoke most consumer level gear.

Jan 9, 2006 at 9:54 AM Post #4 of 78
Something like the DAC1 or the Bel Canto should easily yield big differences between a mid-fi sources and the entry into the "high-end," which is a very relative term. Even if paired with something like a $1500 amp, the 0404 can do only so much. I think that the most audibly discernible upgrade is probably a better source, either a new CDP or a DAC.

Jan 9, 2006 at 9:59 AM Post #5 of 78
Basically agree about source being more important... for example, my Headsave Go-Vibe has shown major differences in every source I've ever plugged it into, and is far from being the weak link in the chain with portable sources. Just wanted to point out that the Emu 0404 is pretty good though, but of course the DAC1 is probably better (ultimately it will depend on individual ears).

Jan 9, 2006 at 10:55 AM Post #6 of 78
I dont know how big will be the difference, and if it will be big at all...
But how good is the Headphone amp of the DAC-1 ?
Can It drive my DT 880 and/or my HF-1 well ?
I know it will be good in the future for my source no to be my bottelneck, but maybe I should buy a good amp Like Headamp GS-1 or Glite with dedicated power Supply, I am kinda confused right now...

Jan 9, 2006 at 10:57 AM Post #7 of 78
I went from an audiophile 2496 card to the Benchmark dac1, and I was worried about the same thing. Once I got the dac1 it was no contest. It really opened my eyes to what makes a difference.

Remember the upgrade path: Speakers/headphones, source, amp, then interconnects and cabling.

Enjoy!
Noel

Jan 9, 2006 at 11:16 AM Post #8 of 78
Make sure you want a cold analytical source before you go with DAC1. It might also be a tad bright for 880's. The amp in the DAC1 is ok, but nothing special. It's about like a pimeta. Large gains would be had by upgrading to a better amp down the line. And don't think that your not paying for the amp, and xlr functionality, there are cheaper dacs that perform similiar to dac1. Many people prefer the 350$ vda1 (now discontinued) over dac1 for example. And of course if you want performance for your dollar I think you'd be better off with a 500$ dac and 500$ amp. Or a 600$ dac and 400$ amp, like a used bel canto 2 and M3. ( This combo should really outperform just a dac1)

Jan 9, 2006 at 11:37 AM Post #9 of 78
Comparing a DAC1 to a Pimeta? Are you kidding? Do you read what experts and true audiophiles have to say about this DAC? No DAC under $1000 is better. Some at $1000 might be as good technically, but not better. Anything under $500 is not in the same league. I've tried many $200-400 DACs and DIY DACs, and they are all colored or lack transparency. There MIGHT be a reason why the DAC1 has gotten such tremendous reviews.
rolleyes.gif

It's not "cold," but very neutral. There is a big difference.

I've tried every single headphone cable for my Sennheiser HD-650 and like the stock cable because I discovered the aftermarket cables excel in COLORING the sound. I like neutral sources, not equalization. Amps color the music, but a good DAC like the DAC1 doesn't.

I like the headphone jack on the DAC1 better than my Gilmore Lite WITHOUT the Power Supply upgrade. With the Power Supply upgrade, I think the jacks on the DAC1 is slightly less tight in bass. My Earmax is better than the DAC1 in some ways but lacks detail and transparency.

I like transparency and flatness, not colored noise when I listen to classical, jazz, and soft rock. For heavy rock, I sometimes use my Grados and not my Bel Canto because it's a bit too flat.

Jan 9, 2006 at 11:42 AM Post #10 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeW
Make sure you want a cold analytical source before you go with DAC1. It might also be a tad bright for 880's. The amp in the DAC1 is ok, but nothing special. It's about like a pimeta.

The DAC1 is analytical, but I wouldn't suggest it's "cold". It's just utterly resolving, neutral, and uncolored that's all. In addition, I think the built-in amp is often unfairly maligned around here. It actually sounds very good. Someone posted here that the topography is very similar to an RS XP-7 (which is no slouch), and in fact has a more complicated output stage.

The DAC1 is a real audio gem really with which one could build a system around. Use it's variable RCA output and have it perform preamp duties on a stereo system, while having a great headphone amp...all being fed by a first rate DAC. I was very impressed with the DAC1 I had in my system and only wanted to go with a Stello unit because I wanted a full sized component for my audio rack.

Jan 9, 2006 at 11:44 AM Post #11 of 78
Quote:

Many people prefer the 350$ vda1 (now discontinued) over dac1 for example.

Do you have evidence to back this up? Or do you speak of two or three posters on THIS board and not any independent reviewers who actually know their stuff and have listened to many products?

Jan 9, 2006 at 11:52 AM Post #12 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by benchmarkdac1
I like the headphone jack on the DAC1 better than my Gilmore Lite WITHOUT the Power Supply upgrade. With the Power Supply upgrade, I think the jacks on the DAC1 is slightly less tight in bass. My Earmax is better than the DAC1 in some ways but lacks detail and transparency.

Now the GLite is a unit I'd consider "cold" and sterile. The DAC1 amp doesn't exhibit that same SS sound to me at all and is unquestionably a better amp in my opinion. However I thought the Earmax PRO being fed by the DAC1 (not sure if yours is the Pro version as well) was in fact better than the buit-in amp in the DAC1, again in my opinion. It's just more organic, richer, dimensional and I thought was actually just a smidgeon more detailed (as far as presenting instrument decay and timbre). However, had I not had the EMP, I would actually be very happy with just a DAC1 headphone setup with my computer as an all-in-one headphone solution.

Jan 9, 2006 at 12:20 PM Post #13 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by benchmarkdac1
Comparing a DAC1 to a Pimeta? Are you kidding? Do you read what experts and true audiophiles have to say about this DAC? No DAC under $1000 is better. Some at $1000 might be as good technically, but not better. Anything under $500 is not in the same league. I've tried many $200-400 DACs and DIY DACs, and they are all colored or lack transparency. There MIGHT be a reason why the DAC1 has gotten such tremendous reviews.
rolleyes.gif

It's not "cold," but very neutral. There is a big difference.

I've tried every single headphone cable for my Sennheiser HD-650 and like the stock cable because I discovered the aftermarket cables excel in COLORING the sound. I like neutral sources, not equalization. Amps color the music, but a good DAC like the DAC1 doesn't.

I like transparency and flatness, not colored noise when I listen to classical, jazz, and soft rock. For heavy rock, I sometimes use my Grados and not my Bel Canto because it's a bit too flat.

LOL, a fanboy. I've owned a benchmark dac-1 for quite a few months now (8 months I believe) and havent changed my source since I've had it. HOWEVER, the Benchmark DAC-1 is not "neutral", it is an analytical source on the "cold" side for sure. The highs are tremendously emphasized and the bass, while being nice because tight, fast and controlled, is still recessed IMHO. In your post you're comparing DACs to amps, DACs to headphones??? lol. Funniest post of the year there.

One last thing, comparing the DAC-1's headphone outputs to a Pimeta is unfair. IMHO, they're barely better than a fancy cmoy.

Jan 9, 2006 at 1:00 PM Post #14 of 78
I think Jashugans comment is closer the truth even though I haven't heard DAC1.

Instead I've heard MF X-Dac V3 which is almost in the same price class as DAC1. I had very hard times hearing any differencies between Juli@ and X-Dac V3. Over all I think that the sound was maybe SLIGHTLY brighter but that's it. Not any significant differencies in sound. 740EUR for that? No thanks.

I'd still want to hear DAC1.

Jan 9, 2006 at 1:05 PM Post #15 of 78
Quote:

Or a 600$ dac and 400$ amp, like a used bel canto 2 and M3. ( This combo should really outperform just a dac1)

Where can anyone get a $600 Bel Canto 2? I bought mine used for over $1000 a year ago and these puppies still sell for $750+.

Does this combo $1200 "really" outperform the $800 (used) DAC1 or do you base this comment out of ignorance? Have you heard these? I have and so have many members here and experts journalists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back